Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How much of a LAW & ORDER RULES AND REGS are you? Lip service only or do you walk the line? Would loyalty BLUR that line?

How much of a LAW & ORDER RULES AND REGS are you? Lip service only or do you walk the line? Would loyalty BLUR that line?

Posted - February 1, 2019

Responses

I've always tried to follow the Law of the Land as well as local rules (employers', or clubs & societies), simply because it is far more in my interest to do so, than not. Besides I don't want to hurt others.

That doesn't mean I necessarily agree with all rules and regulations, even if I've no chance but to obey them. I don't like ones that are petty, or do not really help anyone.

I once read that USSR founder-member Lenin, said something like, "If you want to know the reason for a law, ask whom it benefits." 

Some are obvious: the law that stops me stealing your property, for example, is for your benefit. Some are far less obvious, or they benefit organisations whose objective existence and purpose is debateable to say the least. Some of course are cruel and selfish, such as those against normal rights in dictatorships.
      February 1, 2019 2:33 PM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Durdle. I follow existing laws, play by the rules and try to do it in an orderly way. For the most part laws protect and also hamper us It is a trade-off. Everything in life is a tradeoff. Isn't it? I'm gonna ask.
      February 2, 2019 7:20 AM MST

A trade-off? I must admit I'd not thought of it like that, but I see what you mean. Yes, it could be, in some circumstances at least.
      February 3, 2019 3:50 PM MST