Active Now

Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You can challenge folks for misstating FACTS (LYING). How can you challenge them for stating their opinions? How is that LOGICAL?

You can challenge folks for misstating FACTS (LYING). How can you challenge them for stating their opinions? How is that LOGICAL?

Posted - February 4, 2019

Responses

Well facts (by definition) are true; opinions are frequently a product of an uneducated mind and much more likely to reflect that lack of education.

The requirement that we all respect the opinions of others is probably the single cancer cell that will likely erode what we usually call "civilization."
      February 8, 2019 1:15 AM MST

Not necessarily tom. My opinion is that broccoli tastes delicious and candied yams with pineapple and marshmallows is inedible! Opinions are also the product of preferences. My opinion is that the most beautiful car ever designed was the Lamborghini. I also opine that dry wit is much funnier than slapstick. Now of course you can challenge all of those opinions but why would you? You have opinions too and don't you think folks who challenge them are kinda silly? You like what you like so of course your opinion is that what you like is superior to what I like. See what I mean? Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday!
      February 8, 2019 1:54 AM MST

I covered "not necessarily" when I said "frequently."

Personal opinions about personal preferences are usually innocuous---My aunt loved limburger cheese, I couldn't stand it.

Whether Trump is a good president is not simply a matter of personal opinion---there are certain independent standards against which he should be measured.

The lack of understanding of macro economics by some who love what he has done is appalling.

February 8, 2019 10:05 AM MST