Active Now

Reverend Muhammadovsky
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » In your opinion, what are some of the worst mistakes made when subtitling a movie or TV show? ~

In your opinion, what are some of the worst mistakes made when subtitling a movie or TV show? ~

Posted - February 5, 2019

Responses

• Just subtitling a movie. If I wanted to read I’d grab a book. :/ 
      February 5, 2019 7:13 AM MST

1. Using too light or too dark of a color for the subtitles.  Many times it blends into the background making it nearly impossible to read.  E.g. - black  subtitles where scenes are generally nighttime or white subtitles when most scenes take place outside in bright light.  (whoops!)

2. "Flash" subtitles.  This is when the subtitle is only on screen for less than 1 seconds.  (maybe they were trying to save money)

3. Inaccurate subtitling.  Some subtitles aren't accurately translated.  E.g. The Spanish word "si" translates to "yes" in English, not "oh".  (try messing up the "big" words.  maybe then no one will notice)

4. Mixed subtitles.  If subtitles are in one language, they should all be in that language for the entire show (unless it's a gag in the show).  (maybe they should read the instructions on the subtitle program before they use it)

February 5, 2019 10:49 AM MST

I have to go with Shulak on this one.  I recently watched a TV program where they used yellow lettering at the bottom of the screen which was yellow.  They also don't always leave the words up long enough to read it all and I'm a pretty fast reader.  What really irritates me is when they show a message on an actor's phone and the letters are the same size as when you get it in real life.  Who the heck can read it?
      February 5, 2019 1:30 PM MST

i have to say, ive seen baaad things on netflix...

the thing is , a lot of movies on netflix, if you put the subtitles on, they sometimes say things that the voice didnt said at all... its like you read that the character says x things, but the voice heard didnt said that at all...

ive noticed that on netflix, they tend to do that on a lot of movies, and its just wrong subtitling.
      February 5, 2019 1:48 PM MST