Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How d'y like your cornbread? Sweet and caky or unsweet and sturdy? Got any GREAT recipes for the unsweet kind? Wanna share?

How d'y like your cornbread? Sweet and caky or unsweet and sturdy? Got any GREAT recipes for the unsweet kind? Wanna share?

Posted - February 10, 2019

Responses

Did your mom  make sweet cake-like cornbread E or was it the kind Jim likes...not sweet at all?  Thank you for your reply!   :)
      February 11, 2019 7:20 AM MST

Jiffy. We had to use a lot of butter to make it palatable.
      February 11, 2019 8:22 AM MST

Condolences. No one made it from scratch? OY VEY! Thank you for your reply E!  :)
      February 11, 2019 1:34 PM MST

I am verklempt.
      February 11, 2019 3:30 PM MST

Hahahahahahahahaha! Talk amongst yourselves! Suddenly I'm hungry for matzo ball soup, chopped liver and half-sour pickles! Yikes! Hemet is very small-town. No Jewish Deli around. Gonna hafta investigate Temecula. That is a very bucks up tony town that has the upscale version of everything! It's about 25 miles away from us. You know what E?  Every town DESERVES a Jewish Deli, Italian Deli and a Middle-Eastern(or Armenian) Deli! There should be a law requiring it! Goodness know there are enoough fast food junk restaurants. Why not AUTHENTIC ETHNIC food? I'm gonna ask. Thank youf for your reply m'dear!  :)
      February 12, 2019 4:29 AM MST

Oy...you remember the old SNL skits.
      February 12, 2019 8:57 AM MST

• An old chain here, El Torito, used to make theirs sticky and sweet.  It was so good.   I think there may still be a few locations left, however the quality of restaurant severely declined  from what I recall.  
      February 11, 2019 8:23 AM MST

SAY WHAT? El Torito served cornbread? With what? Huevos Rancheros? We used to go to El Torito for the Margaritas and delicious Mexican food. If cornbread was on the menu I never noticed it lavender. We used to go to one in the San Fernando Valley! Aeons ago. Decades ago. Are they still around? Thank you for your reply sweetie!  :)
      February 11, 2019 1:36 PM MST

• I don't believe you could order it as a side, it just came with the entree, no matter what the entree was.   I don't think they are still around. I loved their Mexican Cesar Salad and Tortilla Soup.  I still miss that place.
      February 11, 2019 1:41 PM MST

I wonder what entrees it came with lavender? It was a favorite restaurant of ours and we ordered lots of different things on the menu. Maybe it was there and I just ignored it. I dunno. Cornbread is great with chili. But we never ordered chili there. I mean was it served with tamales or enchiladas or taquitos or chilies rellenos?  I haven't seen or heard of one for years. Another old thing that is no longer here! Thank you for your reply lavender!  :)
      February 11, 2019 1:54 PM MST

• Every entree came with a scoop of corn bread unless you ordered a la carte.  If you ordered a meal though, it was always came with a scoop of their amazing cornbread.    I don't know if EL Torito offered chili on their menu. If so, I never tried that.  Mmm, sounds good though. 
      February 11, 2019 2:04 PM MST

Well it was tons of years ago (do years have weight?) so it may well be that I simply don't remember it.  remember the Margaritas and the meals and the very delightful atmosphere and the always-dependably-delicious food. A very long time ago though. Things change.  Thank you for your reply lavender!  :)
      February 11, 2019 2:07 PM MST

I make savory pan bread in the oven mixing corn flour and corn meal with some baking powder and salt and I put in bits of red and green hot peppers - usually jalapenos, serranos, cayenne or red Fresnos for some heat and color. 
      February 11, 2019 8:27 AM MST

That sounds absolutely SCRUMPTIOUS og!. Care to share your recipe? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee!  :)
      February 11, 2019 1:37 PM MST

I think she just did. Who measures anymore.
      February 11, 2019 3:31 PM MST

• My favorite recipe uses buttermilk ... and you can find low fat versions, which I choose.  It also is really good baked in a seasoned iron skillet.  It's very moist and depending on how long you bake it ... can be cakey or more crumbly.  It's not too sweet  (But you can always decrease the amount of sugar as you like ...)

Skillet Cornbread
    https://www.marthastewart.com/355583/skillet-cornbread This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 11, 2019 2:08 PM MST
      February 11, 2019 10:39 AM MST

I just copied the recipe Mrs. C. I will probably eliminate the sugar entirely though it seems very sparse. Thank you. I'm gonna surprise Jim with it and see if it comes close to his mom's! Thank you sweetie for sharing this with me. I have a VERY GOOD FEELING about it. Need to get  buttermilk and we're going to the market Wednesday. So I'm gonna make it Thursday. Will let you know what Jim says! Happy Monday to thee B! :) ((hugs))
      February 11, 2019 1:45 PM MST

• Hi Rosie!  This is Gene's favorite cornbread.  I hope you both enjoy it!  It's so easy to make too.  Happy Monday to you!!  ((hugs))
      February 11, 2019 1:58 PM MST

Thanks honey! if you're online on  Answermug Thursday I'll letcha know. Otherwise I shall email you. It sounds AWESOME and I'm not gonna say a word to Jim until I serve it. Of course he remembers you from Answerbag and that you were kind enough to ship us some Dreamfield's pasta your store in Illinois carried that our store didn't in California. How available is it where you live now? Anyway thanks again my friend!  ((hugs)) This post was edited by RosieG at February 11, 2019 3:32 PM MST
      February 11, 2019 2:00 PM MST

• I'm sure I'll be here on Thursday.  I can't wait to hear how it goes!  
    Sadly, our stores in VA only carry the spaghetti and elbow macaroni in Dreamfield's!  I wish I could still find the lasagna.  I just use more whole wheat pasta instead .. at least a little better.  We're going back to IL to visit this summer, I might just buy some varieties of Dreamfields and stick it in my suitcase!!  :)
      February 11, 2019 2:06 PM MST

Cool. So we have a date then?   Well locally I just have Walmart and it only carries the elbow macaroni and spaghetti too. If your Virginia stores do they same maybe they just decided to provide what sells  best and leave the other products to more boutique stores?. They used to carry the penne pasta too but no longer do. I wish Dreamfield's were advertised a lot so that folks would be aware of it and ask for it. Maybe one day? Thank you for your reply B! Wesdnesday we go to the market and Thursday I shall make the cornbread. Boy would I ever like to hear the words "tastes a lot like my mom used to make". I think Jim's mom would be smiling down on us if he said that!  Also smiling down on you too of course for providing the recipe m'dear! :)
      February 12, 2019 4:20 AM MST