Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
DannyPetti
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » Have you ever seen a movie that was better than the book it derived from?

Have you ever seen a movie that was better than the book it derived from?

~~~

Posted - February 11, 2019

Responses

• The Godfather and Jaws.
      February 11, 2019 4:03 PM MST

Good calls on both of these.  I just happened to have read both and saw both and you are right.
      February 11, 2019 4:05 PM MST

Yeah, I didn't so much like the "Jaws" book.

This scene in the movie scared me a lot. A LOT.

February 15, 2019 11:17 AM MST

• Yeah, I was about 12 when Jaws was in theaters, and my parents took us to the drive-in to watch it.   I loved it back then, but I tried to watch it again awhile back, and now it's just silly to me.  Funny how perspective changes.   
      February 15, 2019 11:35 AM MST

Yeah, I think yo8u may be right.

In many ways, PLOT SPOILER!!! JAWS!!!! - - once those three guys get in the boat out on the ocean (about halfway through the movie?), it just turned into an action/adventure flick to me. All the fear and suspense are gone to me at that point. It's an OK action flick at that point/on but, to me, the earlier scenes are the ones that are frightening.
      February 15, 2019 4:48 PM MST

• I agree, and you said it perfectly.
      February 15, 2019 5:01 PM MST

Thanks, lavender.
    :)

I just watched that scene three times in a row -- chills up and down my back every time! Funny -- I remember how the first time I saw the movie -- and somehow, I immediately liked these two guys fishing, without knowing anything about them. They have an everyday-kind-of-nice-guys/two-good-buds aura about them to me. And suddenly -- everything goes SO bad SO quickly. That's why I get scared.

And that "Can we go home now?" line -- caps that scene so nicely to me.
    :)

Funny -- certain scenes in certain movies do this to me -- I somehow strongly connect/am affected. This one is one of them.
      February 15, 2019 5:32 PM MST

"Coma" (1978)

as usual, the movie trailer has big PLOT SPOILERS!! 

~ Jerry Goldsmith's music score, amazing
    ~ Genevieve Bujold --  she's almost enough to make me go straight
    ~ scary movie

February 15, 2019 11:23 AM MST