Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Have you read this book?

Have you read this book?

I'm reading it now

Image result for a serial killer's daughter

Posted - February 17, 2019

Responses

• No, I haven't.  How do you like it so far?  I am planning on going to our local used book store either this afternoon or someday this week, so I will have to look for that one.   It sounds right up my reading alley. 
      February 17, 2019 1:06 PM MST

The book was published just this year.
    Rawson is the daughter of the confessed BTK killer from Kansas, USA.

This is not a Plot Spoiler -- Rawson only found out about her dad's killings when she was 26 years old, when he got arrested.

It's a rather upsetting book to me -- Rawson comes across as incredibly honest in it all. I somehow am drawn to her as a fellow human being just trying to live life. Then, as an adult, for her to find out about her dad having killed people during her entire lifetime up to that point,  a dad she shares about -- in so many ways, 'just another dad,' a loving father with strengths and foibles, fathers like many children have had.

She writes in a very un-sensational style, very conversational -- she seems to be sitting in a room talking with the reader. I was rather upset late last night/early morning hours reading.

I'm about half-way through.

The first chapter starts with 26-years-old-or so Rawson (maiden name Rader) and an FBI agent coming to her door and telling her about her dad. I kept stopping reading that first chapter about every third sentence because I got sort of overcome with how difficult it would be to have gone through for her. 

A quiet book, gentle book, actually so far but upsetting.

I'm having some difficulty answering your question -- how do I like it so far.

February 17, 2019 1:25 PM MST

• Sounds fascinating.  I love true crime in general (Ann Rule is my favorite TC author), and I would love to hear from the other side - family members such as Rawson.   I can't wait to delve into this one.
      February 17, 2019 1:29 PM MST

I would think you would find this book very interesting then.
    From my memory, I think this is the only book I've read from a family member's perspective, as far as murders' immediate families. I, too, am interested in true crime stuff. Believe it or not, I'm unsure if I've ever read a Roth book- - unless she wrote that Stranger Beside Me book about Ted Bundy. I think I might have read that book -- I know I read at least one book about Bundy.
      February 17, 2019 1:35 PM MST

• Yes, she did write that book.  She was a Seattle Detective, and she knew Ted Bundy.    I love her, RIP, Ann.
      February 17, 2019 1:39 PM MST

Haven't read it, it sounds kind of bone chilling. I might have to work up to reading something like that.  Poor girl, I feel sorry for her. 
      February 17, 2019 1:15 PM MST

Yes. MorningStar, it's been rather upsetting to read. I add some more details under lavender's answer. I can't imagine what she and her family have gone through, even though she is upfront about how it all went down. And she writes in a very honest and un-sensational style.
      February 17, 2019 1:27 PM MST

I remember when you said a comedy routine I posted about a married couple arguing about a lighthouse was too depressing.  I think that book would be beyond depressing.  No, I am not reading and surely will not read that book, thanks anyway.
      February 17, 2019 8:26 PM MST

I can get pretty weird, you're right, CallMeIshmael. Several of my friends question my reading tastes. And out of nowhere, something very tame can strike me as too emotional or whatever.
    Maybe post that routine again if you wish. Offhand, I don't remember it - - but I believe what you say about my reaction 100%, ha!
    :)
    :)
      February 18, 2019 7:16 AM MST

I remember when you said a comedy routine I posted about a married couple arguing about a lighthouse was too depressing.  I think that book would be beyond depressing.  No, I am not reading and surely will not read that book. Thanks anyway.
      February 17, 2019 8:32 PM MST