Active Now

my2cents
Randy D
DannyPetti
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » Why is using the term "plus size" so offensive to some people. I've heard people say that it's just another word for fat. Yet referring to someone as skinny isn't offensive.

Why is using the term "plus size" so offensive to some people. I've heard people say that it's just another word for fat. Yet referring to someone as skinny isn't offensive.

And many times, it's intended and taken as a compliment.  Even the medical community refers to overweight people as grossly or morbidly overweight.  I'm not sure I'd like being referred to as gross or morbid and I would prefer to be called "plus size". So how are we suppose to describe someone.  "A person of weight" or big boned.  Any adjective you use to describe them is simply another word for fat.  I certainly realize that even though we may say someone is pretty, saying someone is ugly, which it's the opposite, is definitely offensive so what do you think is the least offensive way of describing an overweight person.

Posted - August 26, 2016

Responses

You know, I grew up in a different age and I cannot believe how comfortable most women seem to be nowadays with their bodies.  I see young girls that are FAT, not chubby, but FAT,  acting like men are all over them and feeling very comfortable in their very big bodies.   That is great that they are not feeling negative.    I think it is because of the crossover of blacks and whites intermingling and the cultures having very different ideas of what is attractive.  It seems that lots of black guys love fat white girls.    Whatever floats their boats.

I will tell you this.  I find unhealthy repulsive.  IF you are big and healthy, I don't mind.  If you are fat because you never lifted a weight or did any exercise in your life, I find that a huge turn off.  It is the mind not the body that really turns me off.  Why would anyone be that freaking lazy?  I am not talking about anyone who is ill, I am talking about anyone who is lazy.   Not attractive.  Go out and take a walk at least.   Move and take care of your body enough to keep it healthy and fit.

August 26, 2016 10:28 PM MDT

Sharon, I wish I felt the same way you say young girls are now starting to feel about being comfortable in a big body because I've never been able to feel that way.  In all races, there are men who prefer their women on the large side.  They just like  more meat to grab on to.  Sure you can be big and be healthy but when you reach a certain point, it's no longer healthy and extremely hard on the heart.  For example, there's the television program, My Big Fat Fabulous Life.  When I first started to watch the program, I thought it was awesome that Whitney had that mindset.  But the more I watched, I could see that even though she claimed to be happy and content with being fat, that she really wasn't.  She did a whole lot of crying, she was limited to the things she could do, she was borderline diabetic and she was taunted by the public and it was pretty obvious she was a very unhappy woman.  That's not to say there aren't some women who don't mind being fat.  But if I had to guess, I bet the majority of those that are overweight aren't content with the way they look, even though they may say otherwise.  I think it can be a defense mechanism.    

August 26, 2016 10:54 PM MDT

• Just state the size and be done with it.

August 26, 2016 10:55 PM MDT

whistle6, that was my point.  What is suppose to be the least offensive way of saying it.

August 26, 2016 10:57 PM MDT

First, you don't give offense, people have to take offense. And you have little control over what they choose to take. If you want to sell them something you try to avoid certain issues, but in general it's not your responsibility to guess what sort of madness each person is involved with. Second, some people have to talk about stuff, even if others take offense. Bottom line: everybody gets on with their lives any way they can.

August 27, 2016 1:16 AM MDT

Jewels, I understand you can't completely avoid offending people and I wouldn't even try. I have to say yes and no that you take offense, not give it. Yes, a person has control over whether they react to what someone else says. However, say I'm the waitress at your favorite restaurant. You ask for more fudge for your ice cream sundae. And I say, Are you sure lady, that's a lot of calories and the owner just implemented a one chair maximum per customer. We do have the new Overflow Chair that MIGHT accommodate your spillage at an additional charge of course.

Would you consider that example not giving offense. Tbh, if what you said was actually true, and I don't share that opinion, then that would mean no matter what you say to someone it's never offensive unless the other person gets offended. Hogwash.
      August 27, 2016 5:54 AM MDT

OMG I'm so tired of all this.......overweight? so be it.......'plus size"? why would that be offensive; what do you want; 'fat lady sizes"......?  ridiculous.

and my other gripe is that WHY WHY WHY do these 'plus size' ladies wear those awful, all over the dress prints? ANY prints on ANYONE only makes you look BIGGER.

PRINTS ARE NOT FLATTERING ON YOU BIGGER LADIES.....OK?????  understand!?!?!?!

JEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

August 27, 2016 7:48 AM MDT

Ben, I think you're on to something. The sizes could be labeled F150, (Fat to 150 lbs), RF500 (Really Fat to 500), or 500+. The discussion will probably never stop until the fat lady sings.

I agree with not wearing prints. It's about as bad as spandex.
      August 28, 2016 5:50 AM MDT

OMG......at last.........someone else who thinks like me when it comes to the big gals & their damn prints........gee,,,,,,,,,great minds really DO think alike!!  LOL...........

as for sizes, I'm sure no expert at that, but why not just go on up the scale? if there's a size 8 dress, then just keep going; size 9, 10, 11, and on and on.........but just my 'uneducated' guess.....

Your idea's pretty cool, but I just can't picture a big lady asking for 'a size RF500, can you??? LMFAO!!!!

oh well, we sure as hell can wear what we like, but why people choose to wear unflattering stuff, prints, etc. is BEYOND me.......such is life!!!!!!!!!!

September 2, 2016 8:03 AM MDT