Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » Time for food!!!

Time for food!!!

Why are corndogs an option at the hospital cafeteria? Or Blimpi Subs? Are they trying to create future patients?

There is nothing to eat that's even remotely healthy at hospitals. I went to see my Dad today. Never ate anything but did get to kiss his bald spot.

Posted - February 23, 2019

Responses

• That’s so weird, the food here in hospital cafeterias is actually really good. Salads, salmon salad sandwiches, best fries in town lol. I spent a lot of time in hospital when someone I cared about ill. No corn dogs here. I hope your dad be well. 
      February 23, 2019 7:03 PM MST

Thanks : ). I'm scared though. The Greatest man I never knew. The video won't play : ( . Yep, scared. 

This post was edited by easyjolene at February 23, 2019 7:26 PM MST
      February 23, 2019 7:21 PM MST

• Found one works  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at February 24, 2019 7:00 AM MST
      February 23, 2019 7:32 PM MST

Thank you. My life with Pops. I'm going to bed cause I'm no fun. 
      February 23, 2019 7:43 PM MST

• Goodnight, sorry having hard time.
      February 23, 2019 7:44 PM MST

I'm with you.
    It would be so easy to set up vending machines with options of wholesome food fresh fruit, nuts;
    all it needs is someone to check and restock first thing every morning.

But also, we could boycott unhealthy practices
    by organising ahead of time,
    and bringing our own healthy food.
      February 24, 2019 10:09 PM MST

I don't know why but we all seem to do the very best with food questions around here.  Everyone can relate, I guess.

It totally depends on the hospital.   I live in a retirement area and people here actually go to hospital cafeterias to eat instead of restaurants, because the food is so good in some of them and a lot cheaper.

I swear.  LOL

But.... the food the patients get sucks the big wazoo.   They don't get the Gruyere Surchoix and Toasted Almond Grilled Cheese.   NOPE.  

February 24, 2019 10:19 PM MST

EJ sorry to hear about your dad, I hope all will be OK. 

As for Hospital food it depends on the region and Parent Company.  The Cafeteria is a profit center so they offer what sells.  For years there was a Hospital in Minneapolis which had a McDonlads on premise.  I have experienced Good, Bad, and Ugly across the US and in the EU.  Best hospital food was in Wien, both for patients and guests.  Worst in New Jersey - supposedly healthy food with no flavor, preparation or care.  Most interesting was by my flat in Paris years ago.  How many times do parents have decent wine served with their meal in their Childs room?
      February 25, 2019 6:32 AM MST

• one time i was inpatient at the hospital and i was receiving steroid infusions. they monitored my blood sugar because apparently steroids can make it high (it remained fine tho). in the meantime i was actually able to go down to the cafeteria and get an ice cream sundae!!! with m&ms!!!!! 
      February 25, 2019 6:38 AM MST

Return business, yes. Deliberately make the salad bar look as terrible as possible so nobody will touch it.
      February 25, 2019 9:08 AM MST

The hospital I work at has healthy food ... but they also have unhealthy food, because THE STAFF DEMAND IT.
    You should have heard the uproar when the hospital decided to no longer serve bacon.
        Note that staff could still eat bacon, they just had to bring it from home.

Staff was saying it was a violation of their Rights.  They even filed union grievances over it.
      February 25, 2019 11:18 AM MST