Active Now

Shuhak
Danilo_G
Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » A thermometer brokes at minus 80 degrees F. The coldest place ever measured on earth was in Russia. Surprised?

A thermometer brokes at minus 80 degrees F. The coldest place ever measured on earth was in Russia. Surprised?

Okmyakon Russia in Siberia several hundred miles from t he ARCTIC circle in 1933 set a record, MINUS 94 F and MINUS 68C! Does it colder elsewhere in the Universe? How can we measure way out there from in here?

Posted - March 11, 2019

Responses

The coldest outdoor temperature ever recorded on earth was -128.6 degrees F (-89.2 C) in Antarctica in 1983.

And YES Rosie, it is MUCH colder in other places in the universe. 

The average temperature on Jupiter is assessed at -234 degrees F; on Saturn -288 degrees F; but still balmy compared to the temperature in space - in the voids between planets, star systems and galaxies- is generally considered to be about -454 degrees F.

We can make assessments based on the chemical compositions found on and around the planets and the temperatures required for those chemicals to exist in the states they are found there. 
    Since space is a vacuum, is immeasurably vast, with no reflective or absorbent properties, it is calculated as close to absolute zero. All means used to measure outer space temperature directly have upheld this calculation.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at March 12, 2019 3:08 AM MDT
      March 11, 2019 8:16 PM MDT

I guess our sources were different DB. I think I won't complain again when it gets down to 29 F which it has a couple of times in Hemet. How do they make measuring devices that don't explode crack break shatter fracture die to the temperatures they are measuring? How do we build space machines that can withstand such extremes of temperature? It boggles the mind. Thank you for a very thoughtful useful helpful and informative reply m'dear. I very much appreciate it. So how are we supposed to find another planet on which to live before this one dies? How do we know which way to go, how long it will take to get there and if, once there, we can survive and make another world? Scary thought!
      March 12, 2019 3:12 AM MDT