Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Black boxes on airplanes are OBSOLETE. Why are we still using them?

Black boxes on airplanes are OBSOLETE. Why are we still using them?

Hello:

There is a system that would DO AWAY with current black box technology..  We don't have to LIVE with damaged and/or unreadable black boxes any more..  It's crazy.

Look..  It's NOT rocket science..  It's simply taking off the shelf technology and re-purposing it.  The flight data from the air frame itself along with the voices of the pilots can be UPLOADED to a series of satellites in REAL TIME, anywhere in the world.

It works like "On Star"..  Wherever you are in the world, if you have trouble, push the On Star button and someone WILL be there to help..  If On Star can do it, why can't the FAA?

Should I go on Shark Tank?

excon

Posted - March 15, 2019

Responses

Good question ... you should write to the FAA and your Congressional representatives.
    I imagine the biggest hurdle is the cost.  They would need to refit all the planes, as well as have a server facility to store all the data.

Along these lines ... pilots actually have less technology than a passenger with an iPad, as far as seeing weather ahead on their flight path.
      March 15, 2019 9:14 AM MDT

Hello Walt:

The cost of two brand new jets plus the cost of litigation should come close to covering it..  There's not much of a refit..  It's just a couple of radio transmitters.

I DID present it to the FAA..  They told me to cut bait.

excon This post was edited by excon at March 15, 2019 6:55 PM MDT
      March 15, 2019 9:47 AM MDT

What if the system fails? Orange boxes are virtually indestructible and would record the failure.
      March 15, 2019 9:58 AM MDT

Hello Sailor:

Good idea..  They're small..  They should be left on the plane as backup.

excon
      March 15, 2019 11:11 AM MDT

Yours is a good idea, though.
      March 15, 2019 11:16 AM MDT