Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Electronics » Do smartphones emit radiation harmful enough to damage the eyes?

Do smartphones emit radiation harmful enough to damage the eyes?

Posted - March 27, 2019

Responses

Why?  

Can't you see to dial?  If you can still see, you are ok.
      March 27, 2019 11:16 PM MDT

I'm going with yes. 

https://healthimpactnews.com/2018/cell-phone-and-wifi-exposure-to-the-eyes-causes-long-term-damage/

Wireless internet is probably worse. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at March 28, 2019 8:02 AM MDT
      March 27, 2019 11:45 PM MDT

They work with blue light which can cause eyestrain and puts you at risk of macular degeneration, you can place a filter on your laptop, smart phone and TV.

March 28, 2019 12:01 PM MDT

it would be interesting to know what the original researchers really wrote - including all the Ifs and Buts.

Sounds like something else being made up into a scare.

I'd have thought eyestrain the more likely hazard, especially if you use a so-called "smart" 'phone with its tiny screen as your sole Internet link, instead of viewing web-sites on a decently-sized, good-quality monitor. Anyway, the risk arising from an intrinsic hazard like very low-power radiation is heavily dependent on length of exposure to that hazard, not just the hazard itself.

NB: Risk and hazard are not synonyms. They have very different meanings. And the prattle you sometimes hear in interviews on the News about "putting ... at risk" is almost always just that - meaningless prattle, because the speaker has explained neither the hazard nor the risk level.

The precaution is dead obvious: just don't let the gadgets rule your life!
    X
      March 31, 2019 2:21 AM MDT

Don't know but I would guess so. 
      March 31, 2019 6:19 AM MDT

Best not use one then, Officegirl. :-)
      March 31, 2019 2:58 PM MDT