Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Education » How many teachers don't bother reading assignments they grade?

How many teachers don't bother reading assignments they grade?

I'm doing online classes and had to do short essay answers for an assignment for a class last week, which is common for one class in particular. I usually get brief/ generic feedback at the end explaining my grade. Typically something along the lines of "demonstrated competency." or "enjoyed reading this." With the last time, one of the questions asked what I had learned form the chapter. I highlighted what I didn't learn and asked the professor a bunch of questions. He still gave me a perfect score and left a comment that I demonstrated proficiency. Obviously, he isn't reading anything I write. How many teachers/ professors do this?

Posted - April 7, 2019

Responses

Have no idea. I would think you would want to go with someone who would offer you more personal attention. 
      April 8, 2019 4:53 AM MDT

Unfortunately, I think you've hit upon an expanding problem brought about by the everything-can-be-done-online mentality, and the departure from one-on-one interaction.

Writes Randy D online at the anonymous Q&A website wherein he has met no one in person since he joined in 2009.

:)
    This post was edited by Randy D at April 8, 2019 9:39 AM MDT
      April 8, 2019 6:27 AM MDT

(Only one hyphen needed between everything-can...)
      April 8, 2019 6:56 AM MDT

Doh!

April 8, 2019 7:19 AM MDT

I rarely gave written assignments, but I always read them. Here is a funny story: When my son was in HS, he and his devious friends, when given a written assignment, would write something nonsensical in their essays to see if the teachers were reading them. They weren't. I had a couple of my students do the same by writing 'Mr. S***** is a jerk.' The teacher read them and called me on it.
      April 8, 2019 6:54 AM MDT

You'll find a variety of work ethics in every profession. 

Having teachers/professors who demonstrate this is no surprise. It probably plays a role in continuing to produce workers with sub-par work ethic. 
      April 8, 2019 8:28 AM MDT

Depends on the adjunct reading and grading the work. 

I do believe there is no Quality Control in a lot of the online course; non-profit or for profit.  I have run across graduates from top tier schools who I feel are functionally illiterate, and did not learn a thing in their 4 years at the grind of their supposed University Matriculation.
      April 8, 2019 8:58 AM MDT

• I would hope not many, but it wouldn't surprise me that some put in minimal effort. As a grad student, one of my jobs was to read assignments and grade them for professors. I put a lot of effort into doing so, but I was also trying to impress the professor and remain in good standing. Without that motivation, I could see letting some of those papers run together in my mind. Grading can be a tedious process. But I would at least read it!
      April 8, 2019 10:01 AM MDT