Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I hope that as I lay dying I will be dignified when that final moment arrives. I also hope for no pain. Would senility camouflage pain?

I hope that as I lay dying I will be dignified when that final moment arrives. I also hope for no pain. Would senility camouflage pain?

When the brain is dysfunctional and isn't transmitting the proper signals do we "feel" anything?

Posted - April 12, 2019

Responses

NOPE.  Go visiting.  Go to a few nursing homes or hospices.  Or even hospitals.  

Pain overrides everything.  
      April 12, 2019 8:09 AM MDT

I am going to tell you what I told Walt. I thought it was the brain that lets know we are in pain and where. If the brain is dysfunctional how does that communication occur? Thank you for your reply Sharon.
      April 14, 2019 7:23 AM MDT

There are conditions that prevent pain ... but they are not linked to the brain conditions that cause senility.

My friend has fibromyalgia ... but sometimes instead of being in pain, she can't feel anything.
    So she knows that if she isn't feeling constant pain, she has to be careful not to (say) burn herself ... because she can't feel heat.
      April 12, 2019 8:14 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Walt.  I'm confused. I thought it was the brain that control knowledge of pain. That it is the brain that lets you know where something is wrong because it hurts. So if the brain isn't functioning how do those signals get communicated? Thank you for your reply! :)
      April 14, 2019 7:22 AM MDT

But the brain does more than that.
    So what affects the part of the brain with memory ... doesn't necessarily affect the part with pain.
      April 15, 2019 7:10 AM MDT