Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Is there any magic in your life currently? If not would you like there to be? Who makes the magic? Don't we?

Is there any magic in your life currently? If not would you like there to be? Who makes the magic? Don't we?

Posted - April 18, 2019

Responses

If I actually believed in magic ... I'd live my life around lay lines.  

Would I like there to be magic?
    Hmmm ... I'd have to say "HELL NO!"
    Sure, it sounds cool and fun.  But it would also make it easier to oppress people who didn't have it, or were weak in it.
    And it seems that the vast majority of games and books where there is magic - it is strictly controlled and regulated by those who have it (Mage Guilds).  And those who refuse to join those organizations are hunted down and eliminated.
      April 18, 2019 2:59 PM MDT

Interesting take on the question Walt. You opted for the dark side. Your prerogative of course. I did not limit magic here. I assumed magic would be equally available to all. You did not You assumed it would only be available to the strong. Different strokes. I have personally been the beneficiary of what I call MIRACLES several times in my life. The only word I know to use because they were inexplicable. So I believe in magic too. I think we all have it within our power to use. It's just that we don't realize it and so it lies there fallow just waiting to be recognized and nurtured. I believe in unicorns too. Somewhere out there surely they must exist. I don't close my imagination off to any possibilities. That's how I roll. Thank you for your reply Walt!  :)
      April 19, 2019 5:47 AM MDT

There always seems to be 3 types of arcane magic users, from all my reading:

1 - Wizard types.  These are people who study magic to learn it.
    EG: Harry Potter

2 - Sorcerers.  These are people who have a natural affinity for magic.  They don't have to study, but they may have less control over it as well.

3 - Eldrich / Warlocks.  Usually someone who has made a deal with an extraplanar entity, either a demon or deity.

- - - 
    Anyway.  I didn't make an assumption on whether everybody had magic or not.  But if everybody has it, there are going to be some who are stronger at it than others.  If everybody were wizards, some are better at studying than others.  If everybody were sorcerers, some would be better at practicing to increase control.  If everybody were warlocks, some would drive better deals.

- - - 
    An interesting premise is the Shadowrun games.  Magic comes back to Earth, and changes people to elves, orcs, etc (as well as some staying humans).  And it turns out the dragons were only hibernating, waiting for magic to return.  While they were waiting, their wealth was invested in corporations - so it turns out dragons own pretty much everything.  LOL
      April 19, 2019 7:18 AM MDT

I kinda like that Shadowrun thingy. Never heard of it before but it intrigues me. Your reply just presented another question I shall ask. Here's a preview. What if all of had the exact same level of talent and ability. No one was better or less good. What kind of world would be have then without any reason for compeition since no one could ever be consiered to "better than"? Stay tunes.
      April 19, 2019 12:19 PM MDT

Babylon5 had technomages.
    People with technology so advanced, it appeared to be magic.

Arthur C Clark is credited as saying: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
      April 19, 2019 12:52 PM MDT

No great magical events currently but some have occurred in the past like when I was new in the Navy I come across some guys playing poker -it looked interesting so I got into the game. I knew little about how to play the game and ended up owing a guy $750. He was an agressive type and determined he was going to get his money. "You are going to have to sell your car" he told me. Anyway next evening I got into the game again and I have no memory how I played my cards but I ended up owing him zero. Luck? "Fine" he said next time we play it'll be cash on the table,  no more payday stakes".
    That was about 50 years ago  $750. then would be something like 4 or 5 thousand dollars now I think.

Another one of my magical events was actually a life saver for me and there have been significant others.
      April 19, 2019 8:47 AM MDT

Someone was watching out for you Kg. No doubt about it. Thank you for sharing your experience and Happy Friday!  :)
      April 19, 2019 12:21 PM MDT

There is never a moment in our lives that is not magical.  Ask Sting.  Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic definitely alludes the eye of the beholder.  

But Most people do not even see that God is real.  So, how can they believe anything after that?   What is our highest image of the Highest Reality?  Quasi- God? 

God Is Alive, Magic Is Afoot

God is alive; Magic is afoot
    God is alive; Magic is afoot
    God is afoot; Magic is alive
    Alive is afoot.....
    Magic never died.

God never sickened;
    Many poor men lied
    Many sick men lied
    Magic never weakened
    Magic never hid
    Magic always ruled
    God is afoot
    God never died.

God was ruler
    Though his funeral lengthened
    Though his mourners thickened
    Magic never fled
    Though his shrouds were hoisted
    The naked God did live
    Though his words were twisted
    The naked Magic thrived
    Though his death was published
    Round and round the world
    The heart did not believe

Many hurt men wondered
    Many struck men bled
    Magic never faltered
    Magic always led.
    Many stones were rolled
    But God would not lie down
    Many wild men lied
    Many fat men listened
    Though they offered stones
    Magic still was fed
    Though they locked their coffers
    God was always served.

Magic is afoot. God rules.
    Alive is afoot. Alive is in command.
    Many weak men hungered
    Many strong men thrived
    Though they boasted solitude
    God was at their side
    Nor the dreamer in his cell
    Nor the captain on the hill
    Magic is alive
    Though his death was pardoned
    Round and round the world
    The heart did not believe.

Though laws were carved in marble
    They could not shelter men
    Though altars built in parliaments
    They could not order men
    Police arrested Magic
    And Magic went with them,
    For Magic loves the hungry.

But Magic would not tarry
    It moves from arm to arm
    It would not stay with them
    Magic is afoot
    It cannot come to harm
    It rests in an empty palm
    It spawns in an empty mind
    But Magic is no instrument
    Magic is the end.

Many men drove Magic
    But Magic stayed behind
    Many strong men lied
    They only passed through Magic
    And out the other side
    Many weak men lied
    They came to God in secret
    And though they left him nourished
    They would not say who healed
    Though mountains danced before them
    They said that God was dead
    Though his shrouds were hoisted
    The naked God did live

This I mean to whisper to my mind
    This I mean to laugh with in my mind
    This I mean my mind to serve 'til
    Service is but Magic
    Moving through the world
    And mind itself is Magic
    Coursing through the flesh
    And flesh itself is Magic
    Dancing on a clock
    And time itself the magic length of God.

Songwriters: LEONARD COHEN,BUFFY ST.MARIE
    © Kobalt Music Publishing Ltd.,Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC,Universal Music Publishing Group
    For non-commercial use only.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 19, 2019 12:26 PM MDT
      April 19, 2019 12:24 PM MDT