Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I guess there are different types of clinical depression and different meds with different side effects. You know what is puzzling?

I guess there are different types of clinical depression and different meds with different side effects. You know what is puzzling?

Some of the side effects mentioned for meds that are supposed to mitigate clinical depression are "thoughts of suicide". Okay here's the thing. Why would anyone who is clinically depressed take a med that might make him/her suicidal? Isn't that crazy in itself? Why would the pharmaceutical industry ever release any med that "might" cause one to have thoughts of suicide?  Did anyone ever commit suicide while taking them? Know anyone who did? Have you ever had thoughts of suicide?  Why?

Posted - April 21, 2019

Responses

Any psych med has the possibility of negatively affecting your thoughts. The worst would be suicide. 

I know a man who was given some for Fibromyalgia pain. It made him cranky. And even so violent thoughts. He said he knew it was wrong and when the thoughts came he would pray and speak in tongues. He did not take it long.

Most drugs possible side effects are worst than the illness they treat. But no one get all the side effects and many get none.
      April 21, 2019 6:06 AM MDT

• it's a pretty rare side effect i believe.  
      April 21, 2019 6:42 AM MDT

Hi god! Even so even one death? Boy that would be like playing Russian Roulette. I'd be scared to try it. Thank you for your reply and Happy Easter Sunday to you! :)
      April 21, 2019 8:16 AM MDT

When people are hurting or suffering they will often turn to anything to make them feel good about themselves.  Because they just want to feel better again.  When we were younger they would tell the most obvious and usual side effects of drugs.  But they never went into the litany of possible catastrophies we now hear on any drug ad on TV.  Which they do to protect themselves.  By warning people. Now introducing any foreign substance to our bodies will have various effects on us, many of them highly individual.  Not all of which can be foreseen or predicted or they would have listed them. Enough people react in a particular desired way that get clearance to put it on the market. Which will not account for any possible individualities of side effects in different people, 

When I was young I did all manner of recreational drugs because I wanted to feel better, did not want to feel I had no chance at anything better in life. Later as I developed constructive and natural ways of feeling good about myself and feeling I had more power over my fate in life and my future I did not need the drugs.  Or I needed them less and less.  Because drugs are not natural - our bodies do not require them for survival and for us to thrive.  What happens is MDs try to correct our bodily imbalances through administering drugs. Which only have further side effects as well as rendering us addicted to and so dependent upon them.  When we should be balancing ourselves through our lifestyle, through exercise, fresh air, sleep, healthy whole foods and moderation of various kinds.  However any of us do not care to alter our lifestyles we are happy with or have become dependent upon so we are unwilling to change them and so we turn to drugs instead.  Which open up a whole world of consequences and further refinement which often result in the prescription of more ad more drugs so becomes a never-ending cycle which we only emerge from in death. Thus we have a significant proportion of our population on drugs. I have noticed in going to doctors they are always trying to get me on some medication or other for my own good.  Which I think why would they so sentence and give up on me?  And is one reason I only see doctors when I feel I have no other choice. I take no medication and hope to keep it that way in my life as long as I possibly can.  And I try to live a careful lifestyle in order to put off that eventuality as long as possible. 

I don't recall ever feeling suicidal even in my youthful drug days.  Perhaps that was only a result of the resilience of youth. But I know from observation that feelings of suicide can be pretty common in many drug-dependent people.  Because they are led by their substance abuse to have a more and more negative view of their life in the world and to seeing fewer and fewer chances or ways of escape from their torment besides death.  
      April 21, 2019 7:29 AM MDT

There are so many side effects to meds that they need to GO.  Not right NOW of course.  We cannot be without meds for people with depression.

However, there is a BETTER way to do it.  

And food and diet are the answer and come a long way to lifting depressions and making the meds easier to endure.  Depression is caused by LACK of serotonins, and the ability to produce such chemicals that control depression.  Eating only foods that do not aggravate the condition, helps a LOT.
    Suffering from Depression? | We are available to help today
    1. Foods for depression and anxiety

Answer from 3 sources

15 Foods That Make Your Depression or Anxiety Worse

1. Sugar.
      2. Artificial Sweeteners.
      3. Alcohol.
      4. Hydrogenated Oil.
      5. Fast Food....
      MSG is a type of amino acid that it is a flavor in Chinese foods, soups, processed meats, and canned vegetables. MSG is also added in snacks, frozen foods, dressings and regular consumption MSG will cause fatigue, headaches, anxiety, and depression.
    This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 21, 2019 8:17 AM MDT
      April 21, 2019 8:07 AM MDT

. This post was edited by officegirl at April 21, 2019 8:15 AM MDT
      April 21, 2019 8:14 AM MDT

Thank you for your extremely HELPFUL and INFORMATIVE reply Sharon. It might just help some folks. I don't really get "depressed" per se.Our mutual friend at his worst just simply didn't see any point in getting out of bed. I have NEVER felt that way unless I'm really sick with the flu or something that knock me down and out. I get "down in the dumps" but fortunately I don't stay there for very long. I think maybe it's because I'm a basic optimist like my dad and my sister. It's harder now with the political climate to be sure but still I am what I am. Taking any med that would push me to take my own life? How can they put that on the market if that is a possible side effect "Take this. You 'll either feel better or it will/might/could kill you!" WHAT? Sheesh.
      April 21, 2019 8:21 AM MDT

I have NO desire to DIE.  That is what  happens to your brain chemistry.  That is why I cannot judge too harshly anyone who does any crime because they are NUTSO.  Being crazy is just a matter of a chemical or two going the wrong direction.  It's that terrifyingly SIMPLE.

We are chemicals.  And we are victims OF chemicals.  All I am is a Donald Trump with the right mix of chemistry.  He is the WRONG MIX.
      April 21, 2019 8:24 AM MDT