Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » This is for all the smark alecks who take pride in it. If you RESPECT someone who dislikes smart alecks why would you bring that you out?

This is for all the smark alecks who take pride in it. If you RESPECT someone who dislikes smart alecks why would you bring that you out?

I don't cook food Jim doesn't like. That would be purposely disrespectful to him. I don't watch programs he dislikes when he is at home. I DVR them and watch them when he is out and about. Out of respect. It seems to me you can be whomever you want to be whenever and however. But if you respect or care about others you don't do what they dislike when you are with them. It's not hard. It just takes AWARENESS and CARING. So smark aleck away if you must. Just be prepared for me to react unappreciatively. Because I will.

Posted - April 22, 2019

Responses

I don't know about that. Respect, to me, does not mean giving someone whatever they want when they want it.  Because, who knows, perhaps they may want something that will do them harm. We would not want to harm them, would we.  So we don't give it to them.  I prepare things for my husband that I think are good for him and he respects me because I do.   I watch on TV things he likes such as Cops and opera and he sits with me and watches New Scandinavian Cooking and Project Runway which I like. 

For me respect is simply the recognition by one autonomous human of another.  Which includes the realization that they are able and entitled to make their own choices in life based upon what they deem most important for themselves.  And that they have a perfect right to do so whatever I may think of their choices for myself.  So although I may disagree with their choices and may, in a proper venue,  express my disagreement, including pointing out where I may think they have gone wrong, I don't think that gives me any right to belittle them, excoriate them, bedevil them, take pot shots at them, dismiss them, or pretend I am superior to them.  For they have their own life to lead, as I have mine. 
      April 22, 2019 5:10 AM MDT