Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Are there subjects that can never be joked about in any way or from any angle? Are there taboos in humor?

Are there subjects that can never be joked about in any way or from any angle? Are there taboos in humor?

For me no,  I think ever subject has some absurdity that  humor can be found in.  It doesn't mean the subject itself is a laughing matter.

You?

Posted - April 22, 2019

Responses

Depending on how they're approached, I admit I can find humor and laugh at subjects others may find taboo. I can laugh sometimes at the so-called taboo subjects but I also can understand why others find no humor at all.

For instance, on this  site (or maybe it was Answerbag), someone once asked something like "Would the movie 'Schindler's List' have been more enjoyable if there had been a Bloopers/Outtakes segment rolling over the ending credits?"
    I had laughed out loud reading the question.
    I posted that I had laughed.
    And I got called out by another poster pretty aggressively. I saw her point but I still smile when I think about that question.
    :)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 22, 2019 10:00 AM MDT
      April 22, 2019 9:45 AM MDT

EDIT: Yes, I think I'm pretty much with you on this.

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 22, 2019 9:54 AM MDT
      April 22, 2019 9:47 AM MDT

• Yeah,  I might not like the joke but I don't get mad just because of the subject alone.   That is a good example,  of irrational outrage.  There isn't really anything.g to get offended about there.
      April 22, 2019 9:54 AM MDT

Yeah, agreed.
    :)
      April 22, 2019 9:59 AM MDT

• Gotta know your audience though. 
      April 22, 2019 9:59 AM MDT

• Meh,  it is kinda funnier when there are few who aren't it.
      April 22, 2019 10:01 AM MDT

• Lol it can be, true. 
      April 22, 2019 10:02 AM MDT

There is nothing too awful that it cannot be shared with humor IF your audience is receptive and trusting that you are doing the joke because it is so bizarre, you just had to go there.

But, just to yammer out shocking material and the devil take the hindermost is asking for a forceful blowback that you had better be prepared for.

Look at Kathy Griffith and that bloody Trump head.  He ruined her LIFE and bankrupted her. 

Kathy Griffin has apologized for posting a video of President Trump's severed head after a furious backlash, sparking the Secret Service into an investigation. 

The controversial comedian tweeted 'I am sorry. I went too far. I was wrong' after Griffin was seen slowly raising Trump's head during a photoshoot with infamous photographer Tyler Shields. 

She also posted a video promising to remove the offending image after she was lambasted by all sides of the political spectrum, including Chelsea Clinton.

But the apology was not enough to stop the army of critics, both Trump supporters and Democrats from attacking Griffin on social media for the outrageous stunt.

Even her long-time New Years Eve co-host Anderson Cooper said he was 'appalled' by the photo shoot, which he described as 'clearly disgusting and completely inappropriate.'

Meanwhile, the Secret Service made an oblique reference to the controversy on Twitter, reminding everyone that any threats against the president are taken seriously.

Scroll down for video ound --- White Black Red Green Blue Yellow Magenta Cyan --- Opaque Semi-Opaque

Background --- White Black Red Green Blue Yellow Magenta Cyan --- Opaque Semi-Transparent Transparent
    Window --- White Black Red Green Blue Yellow Magenta Cyan --- Opaque Semi-Transparent Transparent
    Font Size 50% 75% 100% 125% 150% 175% 200% 300% 400%
    Text Edge Style None Raised Depressed Uniform Dropshadow
    Font Family Default Monospace Serif Proportional Serif Monospace Sans-Serif Proportional Sans-Serif Casual Script Small Caps
    DefaultsDone

MinimizeExpandClose
    Heads up: Comedian Kathy Griffin sparked fury from Trump supporters earlier this month after footage emerged of her holding up a fake severed Donald Trump head

• Heads up: Comedian Kathy Griffin sparked fury from Trump supporters on Tuesday after footage emerged of her holding up a fake severed Donald Trump head
    The controversial comedian tweeted 'I am sorry. I went too far. I was wrong' after the stunt

She sparked outrage during her Emmy Award acceptance speech in 2007, for reality show Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List, when she mocked stars thanking Jesus for their award.

'Now, a lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award,' she said during her acceptance speech. 'I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus. He didn't help me a bit. If it was up to him, Cesar Millan would be up here with that damn dog. So all I can say is suck it, Jesus, this award is my God now!'

Critics, including the Catholic League and Fox TV host Bill O'Reilly condemned the comments but Griffin claimed she had been mocking celebrities and not the church.

Just two years earlier, she'd faced a furious backlash after she joked during a 2005 E! televised event that then child actress Dakota Fanning, 11, had entered rehab - which saw Griffin fired from hosting red-carpet awards. 

Griffin claims to be banned from a number of TV shows including The View after a joke about Barbara Walters, and from New York's Apollo Theater after she cursed in her routine.

She also caused complaints during 2012 while appearing on New Year's Eve coverage with long-time co-host Anderson Cooper, who recently came out as gay, after she appeared to repeatedly grope him on air.

The comedian has also had a turbulent past when it comes to politicians.

Griffin famously confronted Republican Congresswoman Michele Bachmann over her views on homosexuality at the 2010 Radio and Television Correspondents' Association Dinner, asking her 'were you born a bigot or did you grow into it.'

While Griffin has been a long-time critic of Sarah Palin, made fun of Palin's daughter, Bristol Palin.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 23, 2019 5:07 AM MDT
      April 22, 2019 10:25 AM MDT

• Any kind of child molestation or abuse ... not funny from any angle IMO.
      April 22, 2019 10:30 AM MDT

You are right.  Sorry.  I am not trying to offend.  I am trying to be ridiculous.  No one thinks that the rabbit is a pedophile.  I don't think the word pedophile is so terrible you cannot ever use it like the N word.  I am not encouraging pedophilia nor am I laughing at the concept.  It is the same as if I said he is an ax murderer.  We KNOW it is not true.

I am sorry if I offended anyone.

I am speaking of the accusation I made of the Trix Rabbit on the other question.  

I said the rabbit was a pedophile.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 22, 2019 10:51 AM MDT
      April 22, 2019 10:41 AM MDT

• I didn't see your answer when I replied.  No offense taken here.
      April 22, 2019 10:44 AM MDT

• You should write that poor rabbit an apology letter for what you said.

Trix Rabbit 
    C/O Mr. General Mills Guy 
    General Mills, Inc.
    P.O. Box 9452
    Minneapolis, MN 55440

April 22, 2019 10:53 AM MDT

Dear Trixie,

I stand corrected.  You are perhaps the most misunderstood cereal representative in history.  You never harmed a soul.  But many souls have harmed you and I, for one, am sorry for my role in this.   I hurt an innocent party who just wanted a taste.  And a bowl.  No more.  And I treated you like an immigrant trying to pierce Trump's wall.  

YOU ARE NO IMMIGRANT.  YOU ARE AN AMERICAN AND YOU BELONG.  

I sincerely apologize.  I will do penance and amend my life, 

AMEN.  
      April 22, 2019 10:56 AM MDT

• He wanted me to tell you that he doesn’t appreciate being called ‘Trixie’. He’s not a waitress from the 70’s or a stripper. He’s a professional spokesperson,  and would like to be addressed as such. 

April 22, 2019 11:16 AM MDT

Well what the F IS his freaking NAME already?  

He is a beotch.  That's what he is.  And no wonder he has so much trouble snagging some swag.

Jeez!!!!

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 22, 2019 2:35 PM MDT
      April 22, 2019 11:19 AM MDT

• Idk, I’d guess his name is Brett or something like that by the way he’s acting. 

April 22, 2019 11:42 AM MDT

• Come on now that's funny.
      April 22, 2019 2:38 PM MDT

So last week, there was an article about a college student who fell off a cliff at a national park as she was arranging herself for a group selfie.  Naturally, it is a tragic occurrence, but it could have been avoided by using just a hint of common sense.  Anyway, I asked how the photo came out.  Someone replied "Smashing," and I couldn't help laughing out loud.  Bad me.  
      April 22, 2019 12:57 PM MDT

• There you go!
      April 22, 2019 2:35 PM MDT

Genocide, torture, child abuse, animal abuse,  human trafficking, stillbirth, most jokes that trivialize mental/physical disabilities or addictions. There may be a few others that didn't come to mind right away. Most of us think we can joke about anything, but in reality we all have a line that we don't cross.
      April 23, 2019 4:26 AM MDT