Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Apparentlly the FDA thinks using mild shocks in treatment of ADHD in kids is okay. Do you?

Apparentlly the FDA thinks using mild shocks in treatment of ADHD in kids is okay. Do you?

Posted - April 23, 2019

Responses

Called the Monarch external Trigeminal Nerve Stimulation System, eTNS,and marketed by NeuroSigma, the treatment is only available by prescription and must be monitored by a caregiver.

The pocket-sized device is connected by wire to a small adhesive patch placed on the child's forehead above the eyebrows. Designed to be used at home while sleeping, it delivers a "tingling" electrical stimulation to branches of the cranial nerve that delivers sensations from the face to the brain.

ME:  So, it's supposed to be "monitored by a caregiver" at home when the child is sleeping.
    Let's all guess how many families can afford to pay a caregiver to monitor their sleeping children.

clinical trial of 62 children showed that the eTNS increases activity in the regions of the brain that regulate attention, emotion and behavior, all key components of ADHD.

Compared to a placebo, children using the device had statistically significant improvement in their ADHD symptoms, the FDA said, although it could take up to four weeks to see improvement.

Authors of the clinical trial called for additional research to examine if the response to treatment will last over time, and its potential impact on brain development with prolonged use.

ME:  No doubt.  62 children is not enough for a reliable clinical trial, for a condition that allegedly affects millions of children.
      April 23, 2019 11:29 AM MDT

Thank you for making my one -dimensional question three-dimensional Walt. Shock treatments of any kind scare me . I worked with a gal who had them to combat depression. She said they were awful. I didn't know whom she was before she had them. She said she used to be "better" and happier. As it was she was always even-keeled. No highs or lows. No smiles or frowns. Vanilla 24/7. I wonder what she used be like before the electrical intervention into her body?  Electrical shocks accidentally are bad enough. But to use them as a medical tool to "stabilize"? Not my cuppa tea. What about you? This post was edited by RosieG at April 23, 2019 1:07 PM MDT
      April 23, 2019 1:06 PM MDT

If it works.  I don't know a thing about it.

???

I am not a doctor.  We inject horrid chemicals into children who have cancer.  I don't know what to say.  Maybe that is the answer.  Shocks are not punishment if they are correcting something.  I don't know enough.  
      April 23, 2019 12:08 PM MDT

Decades ago i worked with a gal who had them to combat depression. I don't know what she was like before. What I experienced with her was a one-note charlene...always VANILLA. No highs no lows no smiles no frowns. Even-keeled no matter what was going on around her. Zombie-like in fact. I mean you are electrocuting the body purposely at a level not meant to kill but to change behavior. I think it's gawdawful. She said it hurt. Thank you for your reply Sharon. This post was edited by RosieG at April 23, 2019 1:12 PM MDT
      April 23, 2019 1:10 PM MDT

This is NOT decades ago.  I have had electric shocks (just as mild) on my back.  It helped.

Comparing this to anything from decades ago is not going to fly.  They also did electro shock therapy decades ago, on the pituitary and hypothalmus glands and made people vegetables.  Electric shocks have been much improved to say the least.  
      April 23, 2019 1:13 PM MDT

What do I really know about electric shocks or ADHD?  Nothing. A bunch of doctors want to use them I suppose if enough people believe in those doctors they will pay all manner of bucks for such a treatment.  I would not want anything like that for myself but who knows one day I might change my mind.  But for the time being I will try and make it my own way and without the shocks. 
      April 23, 2019 8:50 PM MDT