Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you content to live the rest of your life where you are right now forevermore or do you yearn to see what lies on distant shores? Why?

Are you content to live the rest of your life where you are right now forevermore or do you yearn to see what lies on distant shores? Why?

Posted - April 30, 2019

Responses

Mentally, no.  Physically,yes. 

The only "shores" I'm interested in visiting are the ones I create in my imagination. 

I love to learn!   If its worth knowing, I want to learn it (if possible).  However, I'm more into learning how things work (science) than how things are (art, history).   I don't care about visiting foreign countries.  I'd rather explore a mountain than a cathedral.
      April 30, 2019 11:55 AM MDT

"I love to learn". Me too. That is probably the strongest connection between the two of us Shuhak. I, like you, am far more into quantum physics than anything having to do with history though I must say I very much enjoy any Ken Burns special about any subject. He always brings it to life! I am a lousy traveler but the one place in world I'd love to visit would be Greece. Specifically the Acropolis. More specifically the Eretheum with its Porch of the Carytids. I see pictures of that and I get goosebumps. Almost as if I had been there watching the construction of that porch. Since it was built somewhere about 400 B.C. that is an impossibility, right? Yet there it is. I'd opt for the cathedral rather than the mountain . I'm not really outdoorsy. I don't mind a hike  but camping is not my cuppa tea. I want a shower and clean bed in which to sleep and no bugs! A day trip to a mountain resort is fun but I prefer one with lots of shops! Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      May 1, 2019 3:58 AM MDT

Hello there Rosie
    Completely content to stay right where I am. I do not see myself ever leaving. I have seen distant shores in my life and I am glad I did, but I have found my paradise and I don't plan on leaving. When I am gone, it will be up to my children as to what happens with this place..they will probably have to sell it..
      April 30, 2019 2:08 PM MDT

Maybe they will keep it des. You showed me photos of it years ago and it is a very beautiful paradise on earth and keeping it would probably be their first choice. I'm content too. Lucky big time. Privileged to be where I am at this stage in my life. I never imagined me being 81 and in such good health. Aches and pains are rare. I'm with the most perfect person in the world for me so that is a very big blessing as well. I am sorry for what you went through with a former spouse and I wish you had found someone to spend the rest of your life with as I did after a couple of wrong turns. Maybe you will still or maybe there is someone like that in your life now? I hope so. We don't need a mate to feel content but it is very nice to have someone there with whom you can share life's joys and also there to share the sorrows. Thank you for your reply des! :)
      May 1, 2019 4:03 AM MDT

Hello again Rosie
    I bought my property long ago for under market value at the time. Originally the property was 14 acres with 3 houses...In order to purchase the property I sold 7 acres that included a house.
    I have never been reassessed for taxes so they are still very low. My worry is that upon my death the property and houses will be reassessed at the current value, which would be over the maximum amount the break on property values for inheritance.
    In which case they would have to come up with several million to keep it...I have set up a living trust which may help with that but the property taxes will still go up to an outrageous level..I would prefer they sell it and use the money productively.
    I am happy you are enjoying this stage of your life, you are indeed lucky to have someone with whom you love to share your life with, I wish you many more years to enjoy it.
    My kids have been gone a few years now and I have become accustomed to being alone....maybe someday I will meet someone, kind of a "whatever will be, will be" siuation This post was edited by designer at May 2, 2019 2:52 AM MDT
      May 1, 2019 5:25 PM MDT

Good news, President Trump double the death tax limit and it disappears completely in 2024. So no more inheritance tax to worry about. :)
      May 1, 2019 6:51 PM MDT

Hello there M2C
    It's not so much the inheritance tax, as it is my understanding California at this time doesn't collect a "death" tax.
    However, the property would be reassessed and at the amount of new assessment, the taxes would be about 7,000+ a month.
    This area, due to it's proximity to Silicon Valley has seen outrageous property values.
    It may be too expensive for the kids to keep.

May 2, 2019 12:44 PM MDT

You never know what's around the next bend or over the next hill des. I met Jim when I was 59 and he was 61. Actually that's when we "got together" romantically. We were friends first for a couple of years. I think that's the very best way to start off. As friends. I don't know your age. If you told me long ago I forgot.  But you're never too old to find love or rather to have it find you. Your situation with your property is so sad. I read about all those billionairy cheapskates trying to figure a way out of paying no taxes on anythi ng and I think "big deal..what's the problem"? But I assume you are not a billionaire and the fact that your property could be re-assessed to its appropriate value and make it out of reach for your children to keep seems so unfair. I see what you mean. I'm sure your children will do the right thing and if letting the property go is best they will. But maybe some  miracle will occur and it can stay in the family. It's funny des how many years go did you post those pictures? I still remember them vividly. Anyway life is surprising, sometimes disappointing, sometimes tragic. I hope yours is surprising and upbeat!  Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday! :)
      May 2, 2019 3:01 AM MDT

I'm content with where I'm at, now.

But I wouldn't complain if I won a large lottery, and could live a life of leisurely travel.
      April 30, 2019 3:18 PM MDT

That's us too Walt! We hit a lottery and first thing we do is hire a financial planner and next we buy a condo at the beach. It's funny we are both water signs (Scorpio) and LOVE the ocean but here we are living in the INLAND EMPIRE 70 miles or so away from a beach. Living here is cheaper of course. The beach is way expensive but hey if we win millions we will be able to afford it! Meanwhile we're doing fine all things considered. Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 1, 2019 4:06 AM MDT

I could live anywhere I wanted, but this golden corner of Florida is where I choose to be. By the sea, in the tropics, in America.  

We want for nothing here, except more years to enjoy it. I hope the climate (in every sense) continues to allow this to be so.  
      April 30, 2019 7:57 PM MDT

If we were to win the Lottery (which we play) we'd hire a financial planner and then buy a condo at the beach. We are both Scorpios DB (water sign) and LOVE the ocean. California beaches are awesome but honestly any beach anywhere would be awesome to us. We live in the INLAND EMPIRE 70 miles from the ocean because it's cheaper to live here. We've never been to  Florida. When I lived in Massachusetts decades ago I had a friend named Cindy who moved with her family to Florida. A few weeks later I got a package from her. You know what it was? A roll of "NO BUGS M'LADY" shelving paper! Not kidding. She said the humidity and bugs were something she had not counted on. I don't remember where in Florida she had moved to but when I think of Florida I think of bugs and humidity. However I would like to visit St. Augustine. Ever been there? I read that it is was the first settlement in America or something. It sounds divine. Oh. My son lives and teaches in Honolulu! It's lovely there but there is something called "ISLAND FEVER" that people get when they are completely surrounded by water. It's a nice place to visit but I dunno if I could live there comfortably! Thank you for your reply DB and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      May 1, 2019 4:12 AM MDT

I like where we are and am quite happy to watch distant shores on TV. 
      April 30, 2019 8:00 PM MDT

Us too We are excellent travelers vicariously. In reality it is a major pain in the a **! Thank you for your reply og! :)
      May 1, 2019 4:13 AM MDT

I have done a fair share of traveling to distant shores and different countries and I am quite content to live as I do now.  I would, however, prefer to live in a more suburban setting rather than a big city and when I retire completely, I will likely move out of New York.
      May 1, 2019 9:18 AM MDT