Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » how do people just know when they are hungry

how do people just know when they are hungry

my stomach is doing shenanigans but is it hungry or gas or indigestion or just cramps like idk am I hungry or not 

Posted - May 1, 2019

Responses

• I get a slightly nauseous feeling when I am hungry.  The feeling you get before you start salivating when you are right about to puke.
      May 1, 2019 9:58 AM MDT

My stomach feels like it's clenching ... and then it starts growling.

Not like this, though:

https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/comic/grrl-power-78-melodramatic-sydney-is-melodromatic/ This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at May 1, 2019 12:00 PM MDT
      May 1, 2019 10:08 AM MDT

have some water and wait awhile. 
      May 1, 2019 10:53 AM MDT

Actually, the well known "stomach growl" is not a sign of hunger.  Our intestines frequently "move", and when they do they make an audible rumbling sound.  When a portion of the intestine is empty, the sound in that area is amplified (like an echo).  We call that sound a stomach growl.

The human body is equipped with a "fuel gauge" (tells us when we need to eat).  However, most "westernized" folks tend to eat out of habit, not hunger.  Our bodies are so used to consuming food around certain times that our "hunger meter" tells us we need to eat around those times whether we actually need refueling or not.
      May 1, 2019 1:46 PM MDT