Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » In addition to voting for PREZ I wanna vote for VEEP so no toady sycophant bobblehead like dense Mike Pence would get the job! You too?

In addition to voting for PREZ I wanna vote for VEEP so no toady sycophant bobblehead like dense Mike Pence would get the job! You too?

Posted - May 16, 2019

Responses

It used to be that way.
    Most votes = President
    Runner Up = Vice President

Of course, once we had political parties, they didn't want the P and VP to be in different parties.
      May 16, 2019 10:13 AM MDT

How long ago Walt? When did political parties start? Why can't we rescind them and go back to the past where the winner EARNED the job and the second place was honored with the also-ran? Thank you for your reply!  :)
      May 16, 2019 12:34 PM MDT

We could easily rescind the practice, since it is controlled by the states:

The practice of running candidates for president and vice president together evolved in the nineteenth century. Originally, electors cast votes for two candidates on the same ballot for president, and whoever took second place in the tabulation became vice president. Starting in 1804, the president and vice president were elected on separate ballots as specified in the Twelfth Amendment to the United States Constitution which was adopted in that year. As more and more states subsequently began to choose their electors by popular election instead of appointment (South Carolina being the last state to change, in 1860), candidates began to realize they could run together as a team for president and vice president instead of running completely separately for each office.

The practice of a presidential candidate having a running mate was solidified during the American Civil War. In 1864, in the interest of fostering national unity, Abraham Lincoln from the Republican Party (popular in the North) and Andrew Johnson of the Democratic Party (popular in the South) were co-endorsed and ran together for President and Vice-President as candidates of the National Union Party. Notwithstanding this party disbanded after the war ended, with the result that Republican Lincoln after his assassination was succeeded by Democrat Johnson; the states began to place candidates for President and Vice-President together on the same ballot ticket – thus making it impossible to vote for a presidential candidate from one party and a vice-presidential candidate from another party, as had previously been possible.

Presidential candidates from smaller states sometimes choose a vice presidential running mate from a state with a large number of electoral votes – as in 1984 when Walter Mondale of Minnesota (10 votes) selected Geraldine Ferraro of New York (then 36 votes). It is preferred, but not legally required, that the running mate be from a different state from the presidential nominee, because each elector can vote for no more than one candidate from his or her own state. Running mates can also be chosen from swing states in order to boost a candidate's chance of winning in the state.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Running_mate

May 16, 2019 12:44 PM MDT

Wow! Thank you for providing me with so much information on this subject Walt! I appreciate it bigly. Was there ever a time when the varying political factions had so much hate for one another s is true today? Since I'm living in the NOW I think NOW IS THE WORST IT HAS EVER BEEN. But were there worser political climes at other times in our history? Anyone worser than the sb prez? I cannot conceive of how that could possibly be but I also think "anything is possible". Thank you for the education m'dear! Sheesh. The more I learn the more I become aware of how very little I know! AARRGGHH! :(
      May 17, 2019 2:48 AM MDT

You mean other than the Civil War?  lol
    Okay, maybe not even then were politicians so fractious.
    But imagine if the pro- vs anti-abortion people were shooting each other, over the issue.
      May 17, 2019 7:08 AM MDT

Well Lincoln was assassinated because of his stance. I wonder if the antidons would ever assassinate the sb prez because fer sure the prodons adore him any way he is served to them. Thank you for your reply. I do believe at some point the wackadoodle WHITE NATIONALIST RACTS who want to service the sb prez will weaponized themselves, go out in the streets and start slaughtering people of color. They are already doing it on a small scale. Just wait till they get organized! Imagination at play or reality? I dunno. We're gonna find out. Thank you for your reply Walt! :)
      May 17, 2019 8:19 AM MDT