Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Some folks are lifelong devil's advocates. They automatically take a tack to attack 24/7. It is what they most love to do. Are you one?

Some folks are lifelong devil's advocates. They automatically take a tack to attack 24/7. It is what they most love to do. Are you one?

They are uniformly predictable. No surprises. Always out to do their doiest. A way of life in which they delight and frolic about and thrive.  Boring of course but I guess boring suits them. Good grief!

Posted - May 16, 2019

Responses

Being a "devil's advocate" doesn't require attacking ... just advocating a different view/opinion.
    In fact, any plan that doesn't listen to opposing viewpoints is literally ill-advised.
       This is usually how government winds up with "unintended consequences" for its actions.
      May 16, 2019 9:48 AM MDT

Let me give you an example of what I have to endure. I ask a simple question. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR? A banal question asked a zillion times and I don'r know if I have ever asked it until now. Here's a typical devil's advocate response. I HATE ICE CREAM and I think all ice cream lovers are obnoxious! The real dessert I adore is lemon meringue pie. Lemon meringue pie is luscious and elegant and tasty and far more satisfying than any old freezer-originated icy sweet clump of dumb yuck. And so on and so on and so on etcetera and so forth. They wax poetic as they attack and rant and rave. All I asked was a simple question which they never answered. SIGH. Okay. I exaggerated a tiny bit. But if you don't like ice cream why the he** would you reply just to go off on a rant about your adoration of lemon meringue pie?  I'm asking about ice cream. I don't give a dam* at that moment what your favorite dessert is. If I did I would ask THAT question but I don't. It happens regularly and I get really annoyed. Sigh. Thank you  for your reply Walt!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at May 16, 2019 1:34 PM MDT
      May 16, 2019 1:32 PM MDT

I like mint-chocolate chip ... and double-fudge-chocolate-chip ... and cookies-and-cream ... and cookie-dough ... and ... and ... ugh, I think I just gave myself a stomach-ache, just thinking about so much ice cream.
      May 16, 2019 1:39 PM MDT

Anyone ever tell you that you are very cute Walt? Well this answer proves you are that! Years ago I was stuck on Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors JAMOCA ALMOND FUDGE. I always got that flavor. I'd buy in cone on the spot and eat it immediately or by the pint and take it home. I couldn't get past it to try other flavors. Once upon a time after that in some restaurant I tried GREEN TEA ice cream. Sounds dull and ordinary doesn't it? It was SUBLIME. I can't even describe the flavor but it was heavenly. And then the first time I ever ate SPUMONI ice cream...the real Italian  Spumoni not the fake kind you can buy in gallons at the supermarket. The real spumoni comes in  SLICES and is beyond delicious. Ever have any? I've heard of garlic ice cream they have at the Gilroy, California (GARLIC CAPITAL OF THE WORLD) yearly garlic festival. Don't know if I'm brave enough to try it though I do love garlic! Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      May 17, 2019 2:10 AM MDT