Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Environmental awareness/concern did not begin May 24, 2006 with AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH. Try September 1962. Ever hear of THE SILENT SPRING?

Environmental awareness/concern did not begin May 24, 2006 with AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH. Try September 1962. Ever hear of THE SILENT SPRING?

Written by Rachel Carson it is about the adverse environmental effects of the indiscriminant use of pesticides. Not a hoax folks. No jokes.

All you have to do is be alive aware and care. The blokes who joke ARE THE JOKE only it's not only on them but on all of us. Those with the POWER to do don't have the intellect or inclination so what they do is ridicule instead. They are impotent to be anything other than what they are. They can't do so they trash those who can and want to. When you are very small you try to bring those who are very tall down to your size. Never works. It only emphasizes how very small YOU are. SIGH. Climate change. Global warming. Bigglier and worser each day. But hey hey hey hey hey. The hoax folks rely on that ignoramus belief and keep ignoring deploring.

Posted - May 16, 2019

Responses

The book was Silent Spring the title of which came from the idea that once the pesticides killed off all the birds there would be no more birds to sing in Spring.  Use of pesticides drastically altered the avian ecology so that some birds once common became within a few years very uncommon and have remained so since then. Rachel Carson was a popular scientist and author  whose The Sea Around Us has been an enormous best seller in the early 1950s. 

Now we can use what we have learned to make a better world or we can use it only to beat others we don't happen to agree with or who don't agree with us over the head. "Climate change" as a phrase is meaningless - whoever came up with that?  As though a climate is not supposed to change?  Of course they do and they always have.  And when you use it as a means of curtailing personal freedoms and instituting totalitarian governments well that wont' work either. Personal incentives need to be offered. People's ambitions and abilities must be utilized effectively rather than discouraged. 

And another thing.  In our rush to feel we are "compassionate' and  "caring" we go all out and use whatever medicine or science has given us in order to save lives.  The result is overpopulation which is the main cause of warming.  If we were less "caring" and more willing for nature to take its course then we would have less people around to pollute the earth. As was formerly true. 

May 16, 2019 7:35 AM MDT

Growing up, I have always seen the hand-painted signs "Do Not Spray" along roadways.
    Ironically, I see some of those same property owners using chemicals on their own lawns.

You know what I think would put "climate change" on the "front burner"?
    If it was directly linked to shrinkage of male genitalia. 
    Men would be demanding change NOW, no matter which side of the political spectrum they are on.
      May 16, 2019 10:10 AM MDT

OMG Walt! What a SUPERB idea! Made even more so cuz you're a guy not  a gal! My oh my! How times have changed. I know it would work. How do we FORCE it on them? Any ideas? Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 16, 2019 1:05 PM MDT

Heck if I know.
    I just thought of that because I was remembering reading a number of years ago, how use of chemicals in lawns could result in loss of male virility - which is when I stopped using chemicals on my lawn, since I had a well.   LOL
      May 16, 2019 1:23 PM MDT

Oh I misunderstood. So you read about it somewhere? I wouldn't be surprised. Years ago when we had an ant infestation the bug control guy told us to NEVER USE INSECTICIDES! Use Windex instead! So we did. We switched. He said that poison permeates the air and the ground water and is very toxic. All the years and all the cans of insecticides we used and it was quite possibly harming us bigly! I guess there are some tests that take years to bring results and so they put stuff on the market prematurely. I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply Walt!  :)
      May 17, 2019 2:40 AM MDT

I wonder if it is the ammonia in the Windex.
    I just use ammonia + water mixture to get rid of those little ants.  They never come back.
      May 17, 2019 7:10 AM MDT

Maybe. We haven't used any for that purpose in several years. I asked a question awhile back about the disappearance of insects/bugs including ants. I see a fly once a week maybe.  A rare spider or cricket once in awhile. No ants. No roaches. Not anywhere. Weird. Thank you for your reply Walt! L)
      May 17, 2019 8:16 AM MDT

It was way before that, actually. Virtually every society has had some awareness. 

I took a humanities class last semester and had to write an essay on environmentalism/ conservation, particularly as it pertained to Thoreau and Hudson River School artists like Cole (1800s). In their cases, it was more about preserving what "god" gave them, but it really did kick off a lot and influenced future generations. 

It is a cultural thing though. Some countries have always put more thought into it than the US does. 
      May 16, 2019 10:21 AM MDT

Thank you for your nifty reply JA. My cuppa tea! Informing me of what I never knew which is my favorite type of reply. I wonder why since it has been going on for EVER so long we still have malcontents anti-science anti-reality obtuse useless folks who bury their heads in the sand and complain of blindness but aren't smart enough to raise they heads up out of the sand? Any ideas why? Happy Thursday! :)
      May 16, 2019 1:09 PM MDT

I think the more global we have become, and the more information sources we've had available to us, the harder it has become to know where the truth lies. Like I said, with those folks in the 1800s, it wasn't about preserving the earth for us or even recognition that what we were doing to it (industrialism) had dire consequences. The thought was more like "God gave us this. Being in nature is being with God. We must preserve it for that reason." At the same time, Europe was booming too, but they didn't have the same natural wonders we did. It was kind of the one thing we had that they did not, and so preserving it also became a way to one-up them; a point of national pride. 

Those folks had one information source they trusted above all else: Their god/ religion. The church also controlled information. Create art that speaks out against the church? You're not just a heretic, you're dead. Books were banned en masse. And science... at that stage, Americans were still denying germs existed. So, even though we had early environmentalists, they weren't interested in it for science or for the same reasons we are today.

But, now we can get information from all kinds of sources and information/ truths change rapidly. Furthermore, people don't typically change their strong beliefs all at once. Human nature, I guess. Thought shifts tend to happen a little at a time. 
      May 17, 2019 10:15 AM MDT