Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Very peculiar and frustrating. The more I learn the more aware I become of how very little I know. It's depressing. You too?

Very peculiar and frustrating. The more I learn the more aware I become of how very little I know. It's depressing. You too?

Posted - May 17, 2019

Responses

That is the function of knowledge. We can never know all nor should we try.  Good enough just to realize what a wonderful world (with all its shortcomings) it is out there.  
      May 17, 2019 5:08 AM MDT

The less you know, the more there is to learn. Not depressing at al.
    Not wanting to learn more is depressing.
      May 17, 2019 2:55 PM MDT

There hasn't been one day in my life I can recall NOT WANTING TO LEARN MORE E. Not one. I counted the days during the summer till school would start  when I was in school. The first week or two of summer vacation was all I could take. If'd  I been wealthy I would have been one of those perennial students. Not because of wanting academic degrees. Because of wanting more education more learning more knowledge. That's why I shall never run out of questions and why i never have to try to think some up. My brain is constantly filled with more questions elbowing their way to the point where I ask them. At times I cannot keep up with them but I try. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thy! My mom used to play school with me. I remember going to nursery school and expecting to learn something. I was 3. All they did was play, take a nap, eat a snack. I told my mom I was not going back there. i didn't learn anything. I was disappointed and as angry as a 3-year-old can be. SIGH. Those were the days! :):
      May 20, 2019 3:03 AM MDT

During the Summers, I educated myself with all of the things they didn't teach in school.

May 20, 2019 8:58 AM MDT

It is influenced by the particular circumstances, but you can view it as a challenge to take on.

In some fields, the more we know, the more questions they throw at us to keep us stimulated and fascinated.
      May 18, 2019 3:53 PM MDT

The more questions I ask and answers I get the more questions I have. It is an endless cycle. You'd think at some point it would slow down but it doesn't. It just accelerates. Ever hear the saying "the faster I run the behinder I get"? Well that's me.  I've been retired for years Durdle so no one throws questions at me. I'm the one throwing questions at anyone around in the hope that maybe someone can give an answer that makes sense to me. Many answers cause further questions because they are potshot hipshot standard brand ordinary typical informationless ideology or information-free but they sure sound good. Until you try to make sense  of it and you can't because it doesn't make any sense. Folks think it does. SIGH. Of course sometimes it DOES make sense and I am unable to grasp it. But not always or not even a lot of the time. You get a scripted reply and question it and then gibberish sets in. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday. You'd think as one gets older the thirst for understanding would be sated at some point. For me it works oppositely. The older I get the  thirstier I get for answers that make sense. :)
      May 20, 2019 3:12 AM MDT

I think all we can do is accept, as Officegirl does above, that we can't know everything; but we can endeavour to understand as well as we can, what we do know.

I don't know what particular areas of knowledge you have in mind, but there were some interesting comments about learning on a radio programme yesterday about the British higher-education institution called the Open University.  The people who had used it said the entire body of knowledge needed for the particular degree is huge, but the course breaks it down into short steps, so you can absorb it all properly.

Professional scientists would never claim to have found all the answers, especially in the natural sciences. The more questions they do solve, the more questions they find. Or later evidence and better techniques reveal flaws in the existing answers so they need to revise those models.

The history of Continental Drift theory is a classic example, and when new exploration and measurement methods came along, the geologists realised that continents they used to describe as "rigid masses" are not quite as rigid and static as they'd thought - and rapidly, all sorts of associated questions started to be answered satisfactorily.  
      May 20, 2019 9:52 AM MDT

Acceptance is part of Buddhism is it not? They do not get attached to outcomes. They accept what is as being what should be and move on. In so doing there is neither joy or sorrow..no highs and no lows. Just acceptance. That does not suit me at all. It works for some very well. I am not among them.  Thank you for your thoughtful answer Durdle and Happy Monday to you!  :)
      May 20, 2019 2:07 PM MDT