Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you think homeless peoples that panhandle doesnt look awful ?

Do you think homeless peoples that panhandle doesnt look awful ?

What i mean is , its their choice. They could get a job and get paid like 100$ per day, instead of panhandling and just get 5 $ per day. There's often good jobs that are made for people like that.

Posted - May 18, 2019

Responses

i think they should get a job too
      May 18, 2019 5:30 PM MDT

Probably you would have to become homeless
    and walk in their shoes to understand their situation.
    It's so very easy to judge someone
    without being in their situation,
    to really understand.

May 18, 2019 5:59 PM MDT

That's how I feel. I am around some really pompous a-hole's who think they are better than everyone else. I try to tell them that you never know what you have to do until you're faced with it. Still, they have no concept of having nothing. I believe them to be horrible people without empathy. 
      May 18, 2019 7:39 PM MDT

Some who panhandle make more than the people with the jobs.  In my state they are allowed to panhandle wherever they choose so there is competition for the top spots and complaints from business owners in some areas that they help drive away business. Some are better-dressed, others seem to cultivate shabbiness.  I really don't know any of them so cannot tell whether they are poor or well-off. 
      May 18, 2019 7:46 PM MDT

There is a point to what you say.
    You can generally tell when some one is in real need.
    I see people where I live be on the street and panhandling 
    and then they go around the corner and get in their BMW...hahaha
      May 18, 2019 9:47 PM MDT

I think you have perhaps misunderstood my answer. I do not in any way try to discern "real need".  If they didn't feel they needed more then why would they be out there?  The misconception being that only the destitute are allowed to be out there panhandling. My husband and I help the less fortunate through charitable giving and sometimes direct gifts.  I seldom give to panhandlers.  Though I panhandled myself when I was young and without.  So much in this world is people holding out their hands for money.  Whether they are advertising products or just looking for financial aid. Human want is a never-ending and ultimately very confusing maze and we all exist in the middle of it. 
      May 19, 2019 6:37 AM MDT

Ok 
    If I see a homeless person, ragged dirty clothes, no shoes
    and a suffering look on their face...I see real need
    and I will help.
    If I see someone asking for money to buy Pot
    with really good clothes and Doc Martins (expensive Shoes)
    on their feet and just asking for some free Pot or free Money
    I just really don't see a suffering homeless person
    desperately needing some compassion so I won't donate to 
    their request.
    Are we different in our feelings?
      May 19, 2019 9:03 AM MDT

Would guess some people become quite expert at counterfeiting "real need".  Compassion is something everybody wants and perhaps needs rich or poor!  I wonder whether in giving we aren't doing it really for ourselves so we can feel we are "compassionate".
      May 19, 2019 9:08 AM MDT

I just like to help someone 
    if they ask for help, and I see they need help.
    I am not looking to feel compassionate.
    Then in the circumstance where i refused to help
    someone when later I realized I should/could have
    It weighs on my heart.
    Cheers
      May 19, 2019 9:18 AM MDT

It doesn't look awful compared to what cities are seeing today.  But I do not like to see it.  I avoid it.  I do not engage panhandlers nor do they get money from me.  A couple of days ago I saw a picture on Facebook (I think) of a woman asking for money holding a sign saying needed money for XXXXX.  She had a house-arrest ankle strap on her ankle.  I find it harder and harder to assess these people on a case by case basis.  I'm beginning to just see them as a class of people that I don't want around me.  I'm fortunate that I don't have to see any of them anymore.  But like so many things, that may be a temporary joy.    This post was edited by Thriftymaid at May 18, 2019 11:28 PM MDT
      May 18, 2019 11:12 PM MDT

People who panhandle get a lot more than 5 dollars a day.  Unless they are bad at it.

People who panhandle cannot get jobs at ALL.  They have no homes.  They have no way for employers to contact them.  They have no address.  They have no phone.  

And you probably don't even make 100 dollars a day.  So why do you think you have an answer to the homeless.  You have been homeless. Where were your jobs?  Were you able to work?  If you didn't have your mom, you'd be in the same boat they are.  
      May 19, 2019 6:41 AM MDT