Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » If you're doing NOTHING WRONG why would you object to facial recognition photos being taken everywhere you go or being fingerprinted?

If you're doing NOTHING WRONG why would you object to facial recognition photos being taken everywhere you go or being fingerprinted?

Posted - May 21, 2019

Responses

Because it can be used against you (ie. hacked), and because it's an invasion of privacy.

May 21, 2019 10:04 AM MDT

You know Shuhak I, like you, require solitude and space and being away from others. I don't want people just "dropping by". On the other hand there is nothing I say or do that would get me into trouble if people knew. I might be embarrassed but so what? And when we are on the internet there is no such thing as privacy. We open ourselves up to the world by doing that don't we? I don't do anything financial online. I don't order anything online. No banking online either.  But if folks are reading my emails which is entirely possible or listening in on phone conversations other than my antidon statements I don't see anything that could hurt me. I suppose the sb prez could have me put away somewhere in a dark dungeon for despising him and making no bones about it but I have never advocated that harm come to him in any way. I just want him gone away. There are special wallets that protect your credit cards so the numbers can't be breached by readers. Folks can fix a credit card device in a store or restaurant whereby it will record your number somehow. Our privacy is being invaded 24/7 and sometimes we know and sometimes we don't. SIGH. .Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to you! :)
      May 22, 2019 2:45 AM MDT

I have always figured that anything I did in public could be watched, even before all the modern "snooping".

I was fingerprinted as a child, when that was the "In thing" to protect children from kidnapping.
    I was fingerprinted again, when I got a concealed carry permit.
    So yeah ... I know to wear gloves if I commit a crime.  LOL

Allegedly, public "facial recognition" software is good on whites - but not so much on minorities.
    Which makes me wonder how accurate it really is in China - or if they just ignore the fact it doesn't completely work.
      May 21, 2019 10:08 AM MDT

I think we are being watched and eavesdropped on 24/7 Walt.  I Googled my name and my address came up! I was shocked. Also affiliations with others. I don't have a website which INVITES people to visit you. So if they do that for someone like me, a nobody, they can do that for everyone. I've never advocated that harm come to anyone. Never threatened anyone. I figger if my contempt for the sb prez gets me in trouble oh well. I haven't stolen data and sold it to a foreign gubment. I am not plotting on overthrowing anyone. Other than possibly being embarrassed I can't see how any emails or phone conversations could get me in serious trouble. If invasion of privacy were that important why would anyone anywhere be on the internet? Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Wednesday.  Sure the crime shows inform you that you wear gloves when you commit murder or break into someone's home to steal their stuff. We got that covered!
      May 22, 2019 2:52 AM MDT

People don't realize how much information about them is available as public records.
    It used to be someone had to go to the courthouse or similar to get public records.  Now, they just have to do an internet search.
      May 22, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

Privacyy issues. 

All most anything could be twisted to be used against you if the wrong person in power wanted to get to you. 

May 21, 2019 1:29 PM MDT

But we're on the internet m2c. Ever Google your name? I did mine and my home address came up...past affiliations...past addresses! I was shocked! If I had a website it might make sense but I don't. I'm a nobody. WHY can anyone learn where I live if they know my full name? So if that's the case then everyone is vulnerable already. Other than maybe being embarrassed I don't see how my emails or phone conversations could harm me if someone were to moniter them.  I have no control over who is doing what where and when as it is. I like my privacy. I don't want to be the star in front of the camera. I want to be the director behind it. I think we are all sitting ducks and there is really no way to protect ourselves other than having no driver's license or social security number or bank account or credit cards and living off somewhere in the mountains...be a hermit. Even then someone will probably be able to find you. So you either worry about it 24/7 or you just fuggeddaboutit! Thank you for your reply! :)
      May 22, 2019 2:58 AM MDT

Yep all that is considered public records. So it is pretty easy to get. That is why I try not to give a lot of personal stuff.  Because a nut could show up a my door. 
      May 22, 2019 7:55 AM MDT

I don't think it is sufficiently perfected as yet.  There are too many times when it is wrong and because of that, someone who is completely innocent may be subjected to being arrested falsely and, even if they are not charged with a crime, law enforcement and the government have that recognition stored for later use.  Something like that can easily be abused in some situations.
      May 21, 2019 8:39 PM MDT

I dunno L. Ever Google your name? I did mine and my home address came up...people affiliated with me...previous addresses! I was shocked. So it means that we are all already vulnerable. Whatcha gonna do? Either worry about it or don't worry about it. I have nothing to hide that could get me into trouble other than being embarrassed maybe. I've been embarrassed before and survived it! Being on the internet opens up lotsa possibilities for hackers. I do no banking online. Don't purchase anything online. Don't reconcile my bank statement online. Don't believe in it. But I suppose if "they" can get my address and past affiliations and criminal history (I have none) maybe "they" already know that stuff. I'm small potatoes. Not worth the effort when yacotchure billionaires and obscenely wealthy corporations whose accounts would be much better to hack into. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday!  :)
      May 22, 2019 3:03 AM MDT

I realize that being on the internet opens us up to a lot of things that we would prefer remained private.  It's the cost of technological advances, but facial recognition is a whole other thing.  They had a segment on the news showing how that can backfire.  They used one average citizen and when they ran facial rec, they came up with Woody Harrelson!
      May 22, 2019 5:20 AM MDT

Yikes! I thought no two faces were alike...like thumbprints. Are no two eyes alike either? In movie they use the eye to differentiate in some spy stories. I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply L.
      May 22, 2019 5:48 AM MDT

Facial rec cannot determine exactly.  There are very close similarities and yes, an iris scan is unique, much like a fingerprint.
      May 22, 2019 7:45 AM MDT

I see it used in movies all the time. I just wondered whether it's used in real life. Thank you for your reply L! I'm gonna ask! :)
      May 24, 2019 3:23 AM MDT

I don't object to it.
    It makes me feel safer.
    It means there's a smidgeon of a chance that if I get robbed or assaulted, the culprit might get caught.

That said, I live in a rural area where there's very little surveillance except in town and on commercial premises.
    The town has always been absolutely safe (so far) during the hours when I'm most likely to be there.
    But it does have a reputation for delinquent teenagers and ice addicts getting into trouble and causing harm during the small hours on weekends.
      May 21, 2019 11:51 PM MDT

I'm with you bw. I don't object. We are all already being sliced and diced and tracked as it is. Adding another layer to it wouldn't bother me one bit. What are "ice" addicts? Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Wednesday. It seems the others on this thread do have a problem with it though.  I can understand there apprehension but I think that train left the station decades ago! :)
      May 22, 2019 3:05 AM MDT