Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Where did the term "speakeasy" originate from? What is considered a speakeasy these days?

Where did the term "speakeasy" originate from? What is considered a speakeasy these days?

Posted - June 3, 2019

Responses

speakeasy. "unlicensed saloon," 1889 (in New York "Voice"), from speak + easy; so called from the practice of speaking quietly about such a place in public, or when inside it, so as not to alert the police and neighbors. The word gained wide currency in U.S. during Prohibition (1920-1932).
      June 3, 2019 11:42 AM MDT

Huuka hideouts might be considered a Speakeasy.

June 3, 2019 11:43 AM MDT

I wonder if you get a Huuka Huuka burning love when you enter.  
      June 3, 2019 1:18 PM MDT

It's a Huuka Huuka bit of burnin' love when you enter the dume of smoke-filled Hukka.
    You don't tend to move quickly.  This causes it to smolder, in a good way.
    If you are going to go, please bring back the possible new Ben and Jerry's. ;)
    Big Huuka Hugs to you!!
      June 4, 2019 1:58 PM MDT

You had to speak softly in the speakeasy.  I don't know of anything today the equivalent of.  Oh wait, I heard that a city somewhere was going to have safe heroin rooms or something like that.  I didn't read past the first sentence.  
      June 3, 2019 8:41 PM MDT

Read Merlin's answer up top, Thrifty, I thought what you did, but this answer of hers is really a lot more complex.
      June 4, 2019 2:07 PM MDT

• The closest thing in modern times is probably the "trap house".
      June 4, 2019 5:43 AM MDT

The wha?  Oh.  I see.  Yes. You are right.

The trap can be anything from a neighborhood to a single house (aka trap house), and it's where drugs, mostly cocaine cooked into crack, (but any drug really) can be sold. The term originated in Atlanta as far as I know, and a lot of rappers who started out in the business associate it very heavily either with inspiration for their music or their lyrical style. T.I. was probably the first and most prominent rapper to give rise to the term, with 2Chainz being the most popular proponent of trap and trap music currently. To add more confusion, I believe it's also a form of electronic music with a specific BPM for the bass, and can be distinguished from dubstep and house by its heavy bass line and more minimal melodies (or whatever you'd call it).

[–]ryan1074 21 points 4 years ago 

A trap house is a older style home with one way in and one way out (the front door). It is reserved as a house where you can typically buy crack or any other type of drug. But it is referred to a trap house because as drug dealers and they are in an illegal business they have no recourse if they are robbed, i.e. if some one busts down the front door at gun point to take their drugs and money they are "trapped" in their own homes and most likely the place where they will be murdered by aforementioned unknown assailant. Vice is actually doing a documentary about trap music. Its pretty good and might answer any more questions you might have. I having watched the majority of it myself and its pretty good altho some of these interviewees seem a little full of shit but what are you going to do?

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 4, 2019 7:36 PM MDT
      June 4, 2019 2:08 PM MDT

• That's  actually a wrong and misguided definition invented by the ignorant. 

The real reason they are and were called trap houses was they are a house were drugs are sold and users stay to use.  You have them trapped into more business.
      June 4, 2019 7:35 PM MDT

Not familiar with any current use of the term.  Long before I was born they were unlicensed establishments where liquor was served.  And you were careful in "speaking" of them because what you "speak" might lead to their being discovered and closed down.
      June 4, 2019 8:23 PM MDT