Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » What does it mean if you have a yawing crunchy feel jaw and it won't settle?

What does it mean if you have a yawing crunchy feel jaw and it won't settle?

Posted - June 4, 2019

Responses

I know that feeling!!!!!!!!!
    I have it myself as we speak!
    To me, it means you have a root canal gone astray, or you are about to need one!
    This is what I do.
    I take asprin.  I write down how many I took because I can't rely on my memory.  I never take an exumbernant amount but enough to show my smile, comfortably.
    Next, I check my insurance for dental and medical.  You CAN die from a tooth ache.  Please remember.  Your teeth are next to your brain and we want that to work properly.
    Stoke is not pretty and is not in your world. 
    Is my spell check turned off on Answermug? Crap. 
    It might mean your jaw isn't lining up appropiately.  I had head-gear as a kid and I'm sure my tounge and jaw have reverted back. 
    Tongue thrust is what they used to call it.
    Enough about me.
    It might be you can hear the blood running through your brain.  It might be it is the sound of the sea.  It might be you are paranoid, which you shouldn't be and know, you are a great person who should see a dentist.
    :) :) 
    You know, You are one of my TRUE favorites.
    :):) This post was edited by Merlin at June 4, 2019 6:03 PM MDT
      June 4, 2019 3:12 PM MDT

• Merlin brother!! I have recent abscess in my tooth where a filling came out and it's turn sensitive especially when eating. It's like being caged with bruxism. I got told that I did. I take an aspirin about every day. Talk later. In work now. How did you suss this one out! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at June 4, 2019 6:03 PM MDT
      June 4, 2019 3:53 PM MDT

Hugs and Loves!  I  FEEL Ya!
      June 4, 2019 3:56 PM MDT

• You're a psychic my friend! That was just what was on my mind and I DID have a loud surf hiss in my brain somwhere! Oh my God! Thanks Merlin. Who's better than you? Only 2!
      June 4, 2019 11:10 PM MDT

Merlin may be psychic but I am a therapist and my guess is you have a form of TMJ.  

• Movement of the soft cushion or disc between the ball and socket of the joint
    • Arthritis in the joint
    • Stress, which can cause you to tighten facial and jaw muscles or clench the teeth

What Are the Symptoms?

TMD often causes severe pain and discomfort. It can be temporary or last many years. It might affect one or both sides of your face. More women than men have it, and it’s most common among people between the ages of 20 and 40.

Common symptoms include:

• Pain or tenderness in your face, jaw joint area, neck and shoulders, and in or around the ear when you chew, speak, or open your mouth wide
    • Problems when you try to open your mouth wide
    • Jaws that get "stuck" or "lock" in the open- or closed-mouth position
    • Clicking, popping, or grating sounds in the jaw joint when you open or close your mouth or chew. This may or may not be painful.
    • A tired feeling in your face
    • Trouble chewing or a sudden uncomfortable bite -- as if the upper and lower teeth are not fitting together properly
    • Swelling on the side of your face

You may also have toothaches, headaches, neck aches, dizziness, earaches, hearing problems, upper shoulder pain, and ringing in the ears (tinnitus).

TMJ - Illustration of Temporomandibular Joint

Continued

How Is TMD Diagnosed?

Many other conditions cause similar symptoms -- like tooth decay, sinus problems, arthritis, or gum disease. To figure out what’s causing yours, the dentist will ask about your health history and conduct a physical exam.

He’ll check your jaw joints for pain or tenderness and listen for clicks, pops, or grating sounds when you move them. He’ll also make sure your jaw works like it should and doesn’t lock when you open or close your mouth. Plus he’ll test your bite and check for problems with your facial muscles.

Your dentist may take full face X-rays so he can view your jaws, temporomandibular joints, and teeth to rule out other problems. He may need to do other tests, like magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or computer tomography (CT). The MRI can show if the TMJ disc is in the proper position as your jaw moves. A CT scan shows the bony detail of the joint.

You may get referred to an oral surgeon (also called an oral and maxillofacial surgeon) for further care and treatment. This doctor specializes in surgery in and around the entire face, mouth, and jaw area. You may also see an orthodontist to ensure your teeth, muscles, and joints work like they should.

Continue Reading Below

Home Treatments for TMD

There are things you can do on your own to help relieve TMD symptoms. Your doctor may suggest you try some of these remedies together.

Take over-the-counter medications. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like naproxen or ibuprofen, can relieve muscle pain and swelling.

Use moist heat or cold packs. Apply an ice pack to the side of your face and temple area for about 10 minutes. Do a few simple jaw stretches (if your dentist or physical therapist OKs them). When you’re done, hold a warm towel or washcloth to the side of your face for about 5 minutes. Perform this routine a few times each day.

Eat soft foods. Add yogurt, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese, soup, scrambled eggs, fish, cooked fruits and vegetables, beans, and grains to your menu. Cut foods into small pieces so you chew less. Skip hard, crunchy foods (like pretzels and raw carrots), chewy foods (like caramels and taffy), and thick or large bites that require you to open wide.

Continued

Avoid extreme jaw movements. Keep yawning and chewing (especially gum or ice) to a minimum and don’t yell, sing, or do anything that forces you to open wide.

Don't rest your chin on your hand. Don’t hold the phone between your shoulder and ear. Practice good posture to reduce neck and facial pain.

Keep your teeth slightly apart as often as you can. This will relieve pressure on your jaw. Put your tongue between your teeth to control clenching or grinding during the day.

Learn relaxation techniques to help loosen up your jaw. Ask your dentist if you need physical therapy or massage. Consider stress reduction therapy as well as biofeedback.

Continue Reading Below

Traditional Treatments

Talk to your dentist about these tried-and-true treatments for TMD:

Medications. Your dentist can prescribe higher doses of NSAIDs if you need them for pain and swelling. He might suggest a muscle relaxer to relax your jaw if you grind or clench your teeth. Or an anti-anxiety medication to relieve stress, which may bring on TMD. In low doses they can also help reduce or control pain. Muscle relaxants, anti-anxiety drugs, and antidepressants are available by prescription only.

A splint or night guard. These plastic mouthpieces fit over your upper and lower teeth so they don’t touch. They lessen the effects of clenching or grinding and correct your bite by putting your teeth in a more correct position. What’s the difference between them? You wear night guards while you sleep. You use a splint all the time. Your dentist will tell you which type you need.

Dental work. Your dentist can replace missing teeth and use crowns, bridges, or braces to balance the biting surfaces of your teeth or to correct a bite problem.

Continued

Other Treatments

If the treatments listed above don’t help, your dentist may suggest one or more of the following:

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS). This therapy uses low-level electrical currents to provide pain relief by relaxing your jaw joint and facial muscles. It can be done at the dentist's office or at home.

Ultrasound. Deep heat applied to the joint can relieve soreness or improve mobility.

Trigger-point injections. Pain medication or anesthesia is injected into tender facial muscles called "trigger points" to give relief.

Radio wave therapy. Radio waves stimulate the joint, which increases blood flow and eases pain.

Continue Reading Below

Low-level laser therapy. This lowers pain and inflammation and helps you move your neck more freely and open your mouth wider.

Surgery for TMD

If other treatments can’t help you, surgery is an option. Once it’s done, it can’t be undone, so get a second or even third opinion from other dentists.

There are three types of surgery for TMD. The type you need depends on the problem.

Arthrocentesis is used if you have no major history of TMJ but your jaws are locked. It’s a minor procedure that your dentist can do in his office. He’ll give you general anesthesia, then insert needles into the joint and wash it out. He may use a special tool to get rid of damaged tissue or dislodge a disc stuck in the joint, or to unstick the joint itself.

Arthroscopyis surgery done with an arthroscope. This special tool has a lens and a light on it. It lets your doctor see inside your joint. You’ll get general anesthesia, then the doctor will make a small cut in front of your ear and insert the tool. It’ll be hooked up to a video screen, so he can examine your joint and the area around it. He may remove inflamed tissue or realign the disc or joint. This type of surgery, known as minimally invasive, leaves a smaller scar, has fewer complications, and requires a shorter recovery time than a major operation.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 5, 2019 12:39 AM MDT
      June 5, 2019 12:36 AM MDT