Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Music » Am I the only one? (A different question than my other one)

Am I the only one? (A different question than my other one)

and a more specific topic - -

A Great Big World's song -- "Say Something"

I first heard the song with the male singer and Christina Aguilera singing together

A gorgeous song to me
The words repeated - - "Say something, I'm giving up on you . . . say something . . ."  yet, here were two people singing TOGETHER those words, with and to each other - - I thought, "Wait a second, you two, you ARE saying something to each other!"

I was the only one I knew who questioned the song that way

And I eventually heard the album - - the original version of the song is just the male singer singing alone. No offense, Christina -- but the song is much more effective overall to me with just the solo guy singing.
:)

I'll try to post both versions of the song.

The first is the original with just the male singer

Posted - June 7, 2019

Responses

Yes. 
      June 8, 2019 7:30 AM MDT

Oh, well.

(Sometimes I can be OK with being alone, ha!)

Thanks for answering, Don Barzini!
      June 8, 2019 9:41 PM MDT

That guy cannot sing.  He has a reedy, thin boring voice and I cannot imagine why he got a record contract.  And Christina Agulara 's talent is lost in this song.  I cannot even hear her.

I heard this song done by someone on America's Got Talent and it was so much better than this.

I would not even know Christina was even on this song.  I don't think I agree with your take on what the song means.  

It just means that both people feel the same way.  

But it is a terrible version of this song.  I'll see if I can find the AGT guy.    Sorry.  X FACTOR not AGT.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 8, 2019 10:24 PM MDT
      June 8, 2019 7:37 AM MDT

EDIT (after seeing what I wrote, I'm adding this EDIT)
    Hi Sharonna -  -My running thoughts follow in no particular order, I hope you can/have the time to stay with me as I write. But I'm VERY BLUNT. I don't mean to be nasty sounding. Truly. But, for once, I'm really going to just throw my thoughts out there without going over and over in my head, trying to make sure I don't possibly hurt anyone by being nasty or uncaring in my words. I would never want to hurt anyone.
    These are just my thoughts. And this is you, Sharonna, I'm typing to - - you've known me possibly longer than anyone on this site. You've know I wouldn't want to hurt anyone.
    OK, here's my original reply - - -- 

Oh, well, like I said to Don Barzini, sometimes I can be alone and be OK. So far, I'm alone on this one.

Sharonna -- I shouldn't be posting tonight. I've been going literally nonstop for 17 hours. Hell, I'll just say it- - yeah, I hate shows like this.
    And I don't like TV shows like this at all, -- those competition singing talent/etc shows. Like how they edited this little clip all together, with trite-to-me background music playing, the obligatory sad story (his tough time he went through -- and what did he lose? at the 1:35 seconds mark - - it sounds like he said "I lost my little umbrella last year" -- I' m not making fun of him, I really can't understand what he said [maybe he said "little brother" upon listening to him more] -- and then the judge says 'can you use that when you sing?" -- this all sounds fabricated and manipulative- - just to get an audience reaction) and try to be all emotional and stuff - - that first female judge I'd say to go shove it . "You're cute and you can sing -- make it mean something." I don't particularly like this guy's voice or his version of the song. No, I don't like his version. 
    And look at the judges when he starts singing - - it's like, "OK, here we are- - let's all get really emotional and put on our "emotionally-listening" faces for the camera." It all looks and feels fake to me.

Again, I may be alone on that, too -- there are tons of shows like this out there and lots of people enjoy them. I've yet to enjoy any of the ones I've seen, though.

The "Say Something" song itself -- to me, this a very understated song, emotionally.  I find  the song about someone who has already been through all the emotions. For me, the point of singing the song, he has no more emotions left. He's ready to give up. The other person needs to say something to him. But at this point, even if the person does say something, it would most likely make no difference. The singing person has been through the wringer emotionally -- and there is simply nothing left. That's what I like about A Great Big World's original version to the song -- very plaintive, no emotion. The repeated piano chords, too, in the accompaniment - - over and over -- just remind the singer that there's nothing left.

But this talent show guy ends up screaming out like Mariah Carey. And yeah, hold out that high note really long - - yeah. Too over-the-top for my taste.
    And the judges smile ,with their looks of approval -- "Oh, yes, we made him sing so emotionally and he's so good." 

And I very much like both Ian Axel (who sings the male part of "Say Something") and Chad Vaccarino) who comprise A Great Big World.

Thanks for answering, Sharonna! I'd like to agree with your take on this guy singing but I don't (at least, his singing this particular song) and I much prefer a Great Big World. And I realize at this point, I am alone on this one, ha!

I realize after posting this question that A Great Big World's version is the one I like the best. I quite like Christina's singing with them version, too (and I can hear her really well on the song) -- I just prefer, for me, the solo male version. And, like I said, I like his voice.

And I like your take on the song, too - - that both people singing feel the same way.

You've given me a lot to think about. And, yeah, I'm afraid to post all this. But I'll go ahead and do it.

Thanks, my friend,
    Be Well

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at June 8, 2019 10:09 PM MDT
      June 8, 2019 9:40 PM MDT