Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Unlike me, were you aware of the Flo Rida and Etta James connection? :)

Unlike me, were you aware of the Flo Rida and Etta James connection? :)

I've always really liked Flo Rida's song "Good Feeling," in large part for the female vocalist. Then I found out that Flo Rida had "sampled" the opening seconds of Etta James singing in her "Something's Got a Hold of Me." Here I had wondered who is this great female singer? Flo Rida repeats her, over and over, making it sound like someone is singing along - - but it's literally just the opening seconds of James' song; just her phrases repeated, over and over.
:)

Here are both songs, Flo Rida's "Good Feeling" first. Then Etta James' "Something's Got a Hold of Me" and the opening part that Flo Rida used.
James never ceases to amaze me (I only "discovered" her recently) -- and, now, I can hear it's her. But up until I found out, I had no idea.

Posted - June 9, 2019

Responses

This is great Welb. I always meant to get around to listening to this artist.  Is this a guy?  WOW.  I thought FLO was a chick.  Ha ha ha.

I like this.; it is very bouncy and exhilarating.  Great club music.  I like it.  Thanks for teaching me something once more.  

June 9, 2019 12:18 PM MDT

Here's another Etta James favorite to me.

June 9, 2019 12:22 PM MDT

THAT'S the song that, to me, is ONLY hers. I hear other people sing it and I think "Good song. But it's not Etta James."
    She makes this her song to me.

I've yet to tire of hearing her sing that. I like this "Something's Got a Hold of Me," too.

Yeah, you're welcome! Yeah, Flo Rida is a guy. (a pretty hot guy, at that, too, ha!) I like a lot of his stuff. His "Good Feeling" here always pulls me in -- exhilarating, yes.

I have to go back to work now - - but it was good to see you. And Etta. And Flo Rida.
      June 9, 2019 12:39 PM MDT

Here's another Flo Rida song I like -- "My House."

June 9, 2019 12:40 PM MDT

I'm listening right now. I like it already.  I could drive to this stuff.  LOL .

that is a big factor.  

You have such a great variety of musical tastes.  I think I ironically introduced YOU to THIS Florence.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 9, 2019 12:52 PM MDT
      June 9, 2019 12:42 PM MDT

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I am FOREVERRRRRRRRRR grateful to you for introducing me to her and her Machine!!! I've not heard this song -- I literally love it immediately! Such a distinctive voice to me! Incredibly strong voice but somehow never  in-your-face overpowering - - always very musical.

That Dog Days Are Over is probably in my top ten favorite songs-and-music videos, if I were asked to choose a top ten list. 

I'm glad you liked "My House," too!
      June 9, 2019 12:57 PM MDT

I love Flo Rida now.  

He is cute.

And Dog Days is one of the best songs ever.  
      June 9, 2019 10:08 PM MDT

• Was not aware.

And I suspect that's because like most rappers and hip hop celebs, "Flo" is big on borrowing & stealing from better artists but slow to give credit or show respect.

Etta was a force of nature with lasting impact. Ninety percent of the" creative geniuses " recording today will never measure up.
      June 9, 2019 1:35 PM MDT

I do like how he has used her talent in the song. I like what he created.
    But, yeah - - James is a force of nature! Amazing to me!
      June 9, 2019 5:34 PM MDT

Do you know WHAT A JOKE it is to seriously grant RESPECT to someone who made up hip hop lines?

Oh please.   LOL  If you can sing and you can rhyme and you can make a record and make people love you for it, then you have accomplished something.  No one owns any music.  Sorry.  If you are that big of a copy cat you won't last long anyway.  And all that stuff sounds the same.  IT ALL DOES.  
      June 9, 2019 10:11 PM MDT

• I think maybe that's what I was saying.

Sort of.
      June 10, 2019 6:31 AM MDT