Active Now

Malizz
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Beauty » What is your definition of human physical beauty?

What is your definition of human physical beauty?

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, text

What I notice is the "I am beautiful, joyously confident in how I look" expressions on their faces. Proof that perceptions of beauty are two-faced; one way is the reflection from the culture around the woman from birth, the other is her self-perception - each working upon the other in a reciprocal feedback loop.

Doesn't it demonstrate that our fashion and beauty industries damage self-confidence more often than they enhance it? It's all about making people feel inadequate so they will buy products and plastic surgeries. And now they're working on men to start making them feel just as vulnerable. Isn't it high time we rebelled?

Posted - June 10, 2019

Responses

Are they all men or just the one on the bottom?
      June 10, 2019 6:41 PM MDT

That quality of appearance which draws us to admire it, even marvel at it. 
    Like judging art. Subjective, but definitive in the mind of the admirer. 
      June 10, 2019 8:00 PM MDT

Yep - brings the old adage to mind - in the eye of the beholder.

But its not always cultural or personal aesthetic taste.

Sometimes the person one loves appears beautiful to us solely because we love them.

For instance, my husband, who is 73, is nobody's idea of good looking. He is 3" shorter than me, has a severely hunched back, bent shins, knobbly arthritic hands, is very thin (because his metabolism burns so fast), has very little muscle, is very wrinkly and age-spotted, has a huge nose and lips so thin it looks like he has none, and has deep-set eyes almost hidden by bushy platforms of eyebrows - and yet somehow I still love the sight of him.

June 11, 2019 10:13 AM MDT

Beauty is subjective, eye of the beholder. 

Is Maria Sharapova the real-life physical definition of a Disney princess?

Good looking - check
    Tall - check
    Slim - check
    Blonde - check
    Pale- check

I think she's a "10"...

This post was edited by righty1 at June 11, 2019 10:42 AM MDT
      June 10, 2019 8:14 PM MDT

Pretty
      June 11, 2019 12:45 AM MDT

I find her physically beautiful, yes - though for me it's her perfect health, athleticism and vitality, and nothing to do with her colour. This post was edited by inky at June 11, 2019 5:56 PM MDT
      June 11, 2019 10:02 AM MDT

• True confidence, energy, grace - When those radiate from inside they can make anyone more attractive. Real beauty doesn't exist without that spark.

But I think the latest push back against conventional fashion and beauty norms may be doing another kind of damage to how we look at ourselves and each other:

When we get to the point where we celebrate what's odd and ugly, and reject any shared ideal of beauty we become a little less human.
      June 10, 2019 8:32 PM MDT

I find I instantly agree with the first statement.

After that - you got me thinking - which I love. Thank you. This post was edited by inky at June 11, 2019 10:04 AM MDT
      June 10, 2019 10:27 PM MDT

I want to see a beautiful soul shining through.  I don't much care about the standard qualities of beauty.  The person's nature is far more ugly or beautiful than their physical countenance.  

You can be gorgeous, but if you behave like a moron, that is all people see.  Look at Anna Nicole Smith.  Just despicable.  Crawling on all fours drunk and stoned out of her mind in a restaurant.  Once the top model for Guess and just a total slob.  Now dead.  So, you are only pretty as you feel inside.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at June 11, 2019 9:16 AM MDT
      June 11, 2019 12:41 AM MDT

I think I'd find you beautiful at first glance. I'd wager a bet that your mind shines through your skin.
      June 11, 2019 9:17 AM MDT

That's pretty nice of you.  I can get it together if I have to.  LOL 
      June 11, 2019 10:04 AM MDT

Speaking purely of physical beauty, it is when someone cares enough about themselves to take care of their body.  Whatever that may entail. Bathing, lotion, brushing their hair, teeth, taking care of their nails, jogging, swimming, etc.
    If they are wearing clothes, they don't have to be expensive but have to fit their body.
    All of these express to others that you are worth it.
    Last but not least, 
    SMILES and Smile Lines.  Dimples can be fun, too. Those normally come out when a person smiles!!  :) :)

This post was edited by Merlin at June 11, 2019 9:22 AM MDT
      June 11, 2019 4:27 AM MDT

Yes - I agree with that. Love is action - that which nurtures the well being of life. Its results show in the same way as a well-tended garden.
    The smile is like the fragrances of jasmine and daphne - the natural result of the inner happiness arising from that kind of love.
      June 11, 2019 9:21 AM MDT

What a beautifully poetic way of expressing beauty. :)
    I love jasmine and daphne.  I bought Star Jasmine last week! Right now it is inside in the bedroom.  I know it is desperately wants to go outside so I think I'll plant it outside our window.  This way, we can have the fragrance breeze through in the mornings.
    I don't have any daphne but will look for it at the nursery.  Ironically, I am going today. :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at June 11, 2019 9:54 AM MDT
      June 11, 2019 9:49 AM MDT

Some smells - such as fruit, eucalyptus trees, fresh air, and many kinds of flowers and herbs - never fail to trigger happiness in me.
    I feel delighted just imagining your star jasmine sending its scent through your window. Hope you find the daphne. 

June 11, 2019 10:00 AM MDT

Happy! Happy! 
      June 11, 2019 10:35 AM MDT

That's easy...anyone better looking than me. That's about 99.99% of the adult population of the earth.
      June 11, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

Not to worry. I will always love your mind.
      June 11, 2019 9:21 AM MDT

Thank you. Your's is quite amazing.
      June 11, 2019 10:34 AM MDT

HA!  Both Ryans, Gosling and Renyolds, got nothin' compared to you.
    Paul Newman does have you beat but he is the .001 %.  ;) :)!
      June 11, 2019 10:26 AM MDT

Don't forget Mark Harmon.
      June 11, 2019 10:35 AM MDT

You just couldn't resist.  You had to go there, didn't ya??
    My heart is going pitter patter as I type just thinking about him. 
      June 11, 2019 10:37 AM MDT