Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Having "good judgment" and the ability to prioritize intelligently is a very useful skill. Can it be learned or must it be innate?

Having "good judgment" and the ability to prioritize intelligently is a very useful skill. Can it be learned or must it be innate?

Posted - June 11, 2019

Responses

It must be learned.  Everyone has the capability of this (with the exception of those who have brain issues), but few are willing to put forth the effort.
      June 11, 2019 11:07 AM MDT

I dunno Shuhak. How do you explain folks  whose lifestyles end in self-inflicted death? Drug overdoses...alcohol abuse...dangerous sex? Over and over and over and over. Are they simply wanting to die or is there some defect in the DNA that makes them susceptible to self-harm which cannot be unlearned because it isn't a matter of intellect? I don't know. All those successful talented folks who die by their own hand through excessive abuse of harmful things. Confuses me. Thank you for your reply!  :)
      June 12, 2019 3:42 AM MDT

No one said a person must use (or even want to learn) good judgement.  There are a lot of idiots out there.  From what I saw while working over 90% of people lack common sense.    It's not that it isn't available, or that they are unable to learn it.  Rather it takes too much effort and they're lazy.   

Common sense - I can see that ODing on drugs is killing people, so I wont do it.
    People - I can see that ODing on drugs is killing people, but I'm going to do it anyway.

It's not a defect in DNA, it's lazyitis.  Your parents taught you common sense.  You, as a human being, had the choice to either listen to them, or not.  It was YOUR choice.
    Even if a person is not taught common sense, it does not mean that they don't have the capability of learning it, nor that it isn't there for the learning (1+1=2), but rather that they don't want to learn it.  It's too much trouble.  BEsides, what fun is there if you have common sense?

I don't mean to be cold or uncaring, but I have little sympathy for stupid people (lack of common sencer, not intelligence). 
    There is NO ONE in this country who doesn't know that drugs can harm or kill them.  Yet they still OD on them (not including medical mistakes).  These idiots CHOOSE to taker illegal drugs!  They CHOOSE to take prescription (or otherwise) drugs that they KNOW they shouldn't.  They simply want the high it brings despite any consequences (to them or others). 
    There is NO ONE who doesn't know about STDs, yet they continue to play "russian roulette" with their bodies (not counting rape).  The "thrill" of having sex is more important than any consequences.  In fact, they develop pills and gadgets to PROMOTE having of sex - anytime, anywhere, with anyone (calling it "safe").  Kids are taught in school that having multiple partners is "normal" and encouraged (try before you buy?).  They dont care of any consequences (to them, their partner, or even a child which may get created), they just want the "thrill".
    There is NO ONE who doesn't know the negative effects of alcohol.  Yet they continue to consume it by the gallons.  They CHOOSE to drink knowing that it can lead to liver problems, possible alcoholism or even death.  Yet they are willing to ignore what they know in order to "have a good time".  Drunk drivers CHOOSE to drink and drive... even they KNOW it could lead to death (of them or others).

To me, the people who willingly choose to participate in this stupidity get what they deserve.  If one chooses to play russian roulette and the bullet comes up, whose fault is it?  The gun?  Other people?  Or the one who put the gun to their head and pulled the trigger?  They KNEW the consequence before they played, they simply choose to ignore it. 
    The biggest tragedy are the innocent people that these idiots "take with them", or who have to suffer because of these idiots stupidity.  Those are the ones I feel sorry for.
      June 12, 2019 9:54 AM MDT

Well, now there's an existential question for sure.  

One can be taught how to prioritize, but one's judgment is only as good as one's information (and education in facts and principles).

As to innateness, I think the tendency to innately prefer organization to chaos can be a useful base to build on.
      June 11, 2019 1:53 PM MDT

I asked an existential question and didn't realize it tom! OK. Here's the thing. How do you explain away folks who die by their own hand due to drugs or alcohol or dangerous sex or suicide? It seems to me to be emotional dysfunction and not intellectual aberration. But you could be right. Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 12, 2019 3:47 AM MDT