Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Folks can be or become allergic to certain foods/drinks/scents or people. What triggers allergic reactions in you? Inanimate/animate?

Folks can be or become allergic to certain foods/drinks/scents or people. What triggers allergic reactions in you? Inanimate/animate?

Some folks are allergic to cats or dogs. Usually not life-threatening but not comfy either. Some have anaphylaxis and are DEATHLY allergic to tree nuts like walnuts or pecans. That is life threatening.

Some are allergic to certain people. Unpleasant things are triggered so what should one do? Avoid the trigger. Do you?

Posted - June 12, 2019

Responses

I have no allergies. I do not get poison ivy. I can get poison oak. (Just learned this a few years back) But I do not think that is an allergy.
      June 12, 2019 7:00 AM MDT

That is odd that you are sensitive to one and not the other, since the irritant in both is the same. Urushiol.
      June 12, 2019 8:40 AM MDT

:):):)
      June 12, 2019 9:59 AM MDT

I got it one year and was very confused. I figured by body had simply changed. But I wanted to know....so I actually took some poison ivy and rubbed on my arm. (Crazy I know) and I still did not get it. 
      June 12, 2019 5:17 PM MDT

I was not sensitive to it most of my life until I told my apartment owner I would clean out an infestation of it in some hedges around the complex for $100. After three days of working at it I developed a rash from it. I had to throw away my clothing. Ironically, when my g/f came home from vacation, she had it, too.
      June 12, 2019 5:45 PM MDT

:):):) If you were a research scientist m2c I fear what you would do to yourself to test things out! BRAVE!
      June 13, 2019 3:44 AM MDT

That's great m2c! I developed the peanut allergy about 20 years ago! I thought I had developed ASTHMA! Turns out it was peanuts what done it. I can eat a peanut or have a smidge of peanut butter and nothing happens so I guess it's quantity what done it to me! Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 12, 2019 9:59 AM MDT

You must have been allergic to one of the FDA allowed insect parts in it.
      June 12, 2019 1:36 PM MDT

Where does an insect part reside in a peanut E? Here's what happened to me. Day after day after day for months and months Jim and I ate tons of peanuts salted in the shell.  I think I created an alergy by the VOLUME I ate. Where would an insect part hide? Vis a vis your interest in and knowledge of  the allowaable vermin and other insectual crap we ingest did you know the only ground beef that doesn't have the FDA-approved amount of feces is ORGANIC GRAIN FED BEEF? So when we eat ground beef that is the only kind we eat. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thy and thine! :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 13, 2019 8:04 AM MDT
      June 13, 2019 3:49 AM MDT

I was being facetious.
      June 13, 2019 8:04 AM MDT

I always default to serious. I did not realize you were being facetious. Thanks for clarifying. Happy Friday.
      June 14, 2019 6:51 AM MDT

My youngest is very picky eater. His standbys are peanut butter and milk. We asked him what he would do if he developed and allergy to both. He said he would die. 
      June 12, 2019 4:53 PM MDT

I'm pretty sure my allergy developed due to the VOLUME of salted-in-shell peanuts Jim and I used to eat nightly m2c. FOR MANY MONTHS! I'm pretty sure I created my own monster. I don't think a normal peanut butter sandwich daily would do that unless of course you put a whole jar of peanut butter in the sandwich!  My son disliked broccoli from the get-go and started off liking tomatoes but began to dislike them for some reason. There are plenty of other nutritious veggies I served him so I never made a big deal out of it. I don't understand parents who FORCE their kids to eat things they don't like. I think that could create health issues later on. Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 13, 2019 3:54 AM MDT

You cannot BECOME allergic by choice.

It's systemic.  Anyone using that word to define something they want to avoid or something they are repulsed by is using the wrong term.

You don't get to choose your allergies.
      June 12, 2019 10:09 AM MDT

• im  allergic to grass and pineapples. 
      June 12, 2019 2:03 PM MDT