Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » You are told to never believe what you read or hear because that isn't what is really happening. Are you able to comply?

You are told to never believe what you read or hear because that isn't what is really happening. Are you able to comply?

So you stop believing everything you see, hear, think and obediently listen only to the person who told you to not believe what you read, see or hear? How does that make sense? Wouldn't that include what that person sez to you too?

Posted - June 13, 2019

Responses

I had a World History teacher back in high school, who taught us "Question Authority".
    He said that applied to politicians, teachers, textbooks, and anyone who claimed "authority" - including himself.
      June 13, 2019 9:26 AM MDT

So where does that leave you if you do that Walt? Never believing anyone about anything ever? That's more than bit much for me. Not my cuppa tea. Different strokes for different blokes. I ALWAYS question what doesn't make any sense. Lotsa stuff is like that. I don't question just to question. That's being a phony. Some things do make sense and I do not waste time questioning them. I don't Devil's Advocate my life away. Thank you for your reply! :)
      June 13, 2019 11:32 AM MDT

His point was never accept something on face value, just because some "authority" says it.

Even experts in a subject make mistakes on that subject.  That's why scientific papers are supposed to be peer reviewed.

And even if an authority is telling you the truth - they may not be telling you the WHOLE truth.

June 13, 2019 11:50 AM MDT