Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » In your opinion what species has the fewest weaknesses inadequacies faults? Homo Saps are loaded with 'em. Anyone know why?

In your opinion what species has the fewest weaknesses inadequacies faults? Homo Saps are loaded with 'em. Anyone know why?

Posted - June 17, 2019

Responses

Ants ,Termites or cockroaches Rosie......
    In a full blown nuclear war  ,only Cockroaches will survive they say....
      June 17, 2019 4:36 AM MDT

Maggots too D? Superbugs impervious to any containment are developing. From that will come diseases for which there are no cures. Superbugs. Supersmart superstrong superdetermine superduper? Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee m'dear!  :)
      June 17, 2019 4:48 AM MDT

With out maggots Rosie ,the world would be in a rear sorry state....they help dispose of of all dead bodies including and animals alike, every living thing nature has a way of disposal and recycling....what ever any one thinks it the only thing you can be sure of...:) 
      June 17, 2019 7:24 AM MDT

Ewe! OK. To everything there is a time and a purpose. Some more pleasant than others. Thank you for your reply D! :)
      June 17, 2019 7:49 AM MDT

Tardigrades...these little buggers can survive anything. Kind cute, too.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2019/3/tardigrades-are-these-the-worlds-toughest-animals-564195

This post was edited by Element 99 at June 18, 2019 2:45 AM MDT
      June 17, 2019 8:03 AM MDT

Blue is my favorite color. Never heard of them E. Is that hole a mouth or a nose? I wouldn't call it "cute" exactly but the more I look at it the less uncute it becomes! Thank you for your reply and the link and Happy Tuesday! :)
      June 18, 2019 2:51 AM MDT

Loaded with them perhaps we are the most complicated species? Certainly at brain level though the rest of our bodies work in much the same way as any mammal's. Perhaps we've distorted our view of ourselves because we can cure so many things that in the "wild" would kill us just as they kill other animals. 
      June 17, 2019 2:17 PM MDT

I wonder though Durdle are we really the most dependable evaluators of ourselves? Aren't we predisposed to see ourselves as the crowning glory of animate life? Give ourselves a lot of wiggle room and see ourselves in the best of lights? I just think we are either too hard or too soft about homo saps. How do we judge the intellectual capacity of other living creatures? We cannot communicate with them so we have to use other means of evaluating. Observation. But we know that you can't judge a book by its cover and that things are often not what they seem. We may be on the very lowest rung of the ladder of intelligent life. How can we possibly know? Setting that aside I've read that superbugs are developing at a fast rate and we keep trying to find ways to outwit them as it were. But will we ever be able to find a cure for all disease eventually or will we just be like hamsters running around in cages  going nowhere? I dunno. SIGH. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      June 18, 2019 3:01 AM MDT

Oh yes, humanity has always thought itself somehow superior, even without the help of some ancient Hebrew scribe saying so.

Our real superiorities are in intellect (though some might wonder that) which does give us some control over our instincts, in our speech, possibly emotions, and extremely prehensile of our hands. The other primates can use their hands and fingers quite well, as can some rodents; but not to human levels.

I think we have more generally-sensitive eyes too, able to see a very range of colours (unless of course colour-blind); balanced against low light-level sensitivity as we are diurnal animals. The nocturnal animals trade light-gathering power for colour-differentiation.

Hearing? Well, some animals can detect higher- or lower- frequency, or softer sounds, than us but hearing is suited to mode of life, and ours comfortable brackets our speech range. Bats work at very high frequencies and can emit calls far more quickly than we could utter single-vowel sounds; and their calls can be much louder though far less powerful than even an opera singer could produce - but all that is to enable them to navigate and hunt flying insects in the dark. Their sight is quite good, but not enough for food-hunting, and even a cat would be blind in the total darkness of a cave that bats navigate easily by echo-locating.

Really, we are still just bipedal, diurnal, ex-tropical mammals that had a curious desire in our very ancient past to wander far from our native Africa and sub-tropics, and settle in some of the most inhospitable regions it could find!

I doubt we'll ever know if there are creatures anywhere far more intelligent than us. If there are, they are not on this planet.

You might be right about micro-organisms adapting to survive our attempts to kill them before they kill us. It's a horrible thought but perhaps diseases, and our natural lack of physical defence against climate extremes that other animals cope with, are really there to keep our population under some sort of control. As it is, I recall reading in a medical or biology book that we are not an especially fertile species, which perhaps is countered a bit by having no particular breeding season; so treating "infertility" as if it's a disease is really the wrong way to view it - though I know there are many who yearn to have children but genuinely can't and end up very disappointed.   

June 18, 2019 7:33 AM MDT