Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Since homo saps showed up how many people have died? Absent aging, disease, wars, natural tragedies, hatred what would weed us out?

Since homo saps showed up how many people have died? Absent aging, disease, wars, natural tragedies, hatred what would weed us out?

Isn't weeding out necessary to the continued existence of homo saps? If we lived forever how many of us would there be currently and where would we all live?

Posted - June 18, 2019

Responses

You'll find this fascinating, Rosie - it's a Wikipedia article about "maximum life span":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_life_span

It seems there is a strong body of opinion that there is a natural upper limit to human longevity, which may be a consequence of a side-effect of the process of cell division on chromosomes.
      June 19, 2019 3:48 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply Rev and the link you so kindly provided. As soon as I post this I'll click on it and then return and have a chat! I sure appreciate it! :) I'm back. No I didn't read all of it. IT'S VERY LONG. But I did scan some of it. My eye caught this..."the number of cell divisions DOES NOT STRICTLY CONTROL life span.
    At one point it reads there there is no rigid upper limit and that the oldest person record lived to be 122.
    But that was awhile ago and we keep finding cures for diseases which extends life. If you are a fan of the Bible didn't some folks live for hundreds of years? In fantasies we see folks who cannot die and they live through many lives of those they love and watch them age and die. I think that would be a nightmare to experience. I'll go back and read some more. Somewhere I believe others have lived longer. We know there are pockets of people in the world in different locations who live longer than the norm. They are referred to as BLUE ZONES I believe and Loma Linda, California is one of them. It has to do with diet and friendships. See ya later gator? This post was edited by RosieG at June 20, 2019 4:33 AM MDT
      June 20, 2019 4:24 AM MDT

Thank you for correcting me on that article, Rosie, I may return to it later.
    It is probably a safe generalisation that lifespan is increasing in almost all parts of the world. Moreover, or so I like to think, we will continue to see a worldwide increase in people enjoying active and healthy retirement years as a result of improved medicine (and, in newly-industrialising countries like China, better working conditions - improved regulation in the workplace will mean less exposure to dust, toxic chemicals and so forth, which at present must contribute to a lot of premature aging).

The social consequences of an ageing population are hard to predict - I remember someone predicted back in the 90's that one of the effects of a growing percentage of older people in the population would be to make society more conservative, that there would be a return to greater formality in some areas of life, such as dress - needless to say I have not seen much evidence of this to date. I suppose it is still the mass media that is the biggest influence on societal values, and that will continue to be dominated by 45-65 year olds (approximately) whether we like it or not. This post was edited by Reverend Muhammadovsky at June 20, 2019 11:05 AM MDT
      June 20, 2019 10:25 AM MDT