Active Now

Pet Eater
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » They expect me to buy Microsoft Word? I can't just have it for free? What is up with that?

They expect me to buy Microsoft Word? I can't just have it for free? What is up with that?

It used to be with the software. 

Posted - June 29, 2016

Responses

• I won't state the obvious.

Consider trying the Ubuntu operating system. It's free to download and has an excellent free support system. It's written in Lynux. Hence, its immune from worms, trojans, and viruses, and so hard to hack into that hackers don't bother. It has the same apps as written for Microsoft and Apple, user-friendly, with free tutorials on-line. It is written by geniuses who believe knowledge and communications should be free.

I'm not tech savvy but I can manage all my user needs with Ubuntu, and on the rare occasions when I do need help, the geeks at the IT shop in town can always help me for a modest price.

June 29, 2016 2:08 AM MDT

It used to be with what software? Please be clear.

Word has a long history going back to DOS versions, when it ranked behind WordPerfect. Its popularity soared as businesses started upgrading hardware to run Windows, just as Word was re-bundled into Microsoft Office 4.3 in the early 1990s. Unless there is some exception as rare as a lib doing actual work, no fully functional version was ever given away for free.

There are various deep discounts on the Microsoft Office suite. Students can buy it for next to nothing. Sometimes some emasculated version is sold with a machine. 

If you want functional business software for which you pay nothing, do not look to Microsoft. Instead go to Apache Open Office at https://www.openoffice.org/ . It takes a tiny amount of thinking and searching to see how to save Open Office files in Word format that can be shared with Word users, but you can do that and you can even change OpenOffice Writer's defaults to save as Word documents by default. 

As an open-source software, it does not have the proprietary licensing protections of Word. You may use OpenOffice Writer, and any components of the OpenOffice Suite, as you wish. Computing hobbyists and professionals are free to participate in Open Office's development. Anyone who so desires may contribute to the project. No, it does not match Word's every way of doing things. Yes, you will have a new learning curve, but if you know what you are looking to do then at every step you will find the way.

June 29, 2016 7:22 AM MDT

You can get most software for free by going to a torrant site.
      June 29, 2016 7:39 AM MDT

You can download and use Open Office for free.  It works just like Word.  There is another free production software suite but I can't think of the name.  Open Office has an equivalent of Word, Excel, Powerpoint.  And, the documents can transfer between the Microsolf products and the Open Office products.  I've had no problem since I started using Open Office.

June 29, 2016 10:35 AM MDT

Theft is not a great recommendation. 

June 29, 2016 10:36 AM MDT

I recommended OpenOffice too.  I've use it a long time with no problem. 

June 29, 2016 2:29 PM MDT

• Just use notepad and wordpad.

June 29, 2016 2:35 PM MDT

• I just got your picture. That's clever.

June 29, 2016 2:46 PM MDT

Give Libre Office a try. I have a licensed copy of Word (Office 2013, actually) and I STILL use Libre.It's just a lot easier to "drive". (I HATE the "ribbons".)

And unlike Open Office you can download the entire program to your machine. (Open Office only lets you download an installer which then installs the program from your Internet connection.)

June 29, 2016 4:54 PM MDT

•   June 29, 2016 5:23 PM MDT

The paragraph was clearly referring to Microsoft Word. 

Yes I know about open source software, and I know about Microsoft.

June 30, 2016 5:53 PM MDT

Dear Thrifty,

Thank you so much for talking to me always and giving me honest and trustworthy advice. 

The advice you offered (FOR FREE mind you, calling her a bloodsucking attorney, is not only unfair, it is UNTRUE)  regarding my finding an insurance company that was hidden from me proved to be the answer to my finding 7 thousand dollars and calling the correct insurance company. 

I located some answers through calling the State of Arizona like you told me to.  Through that channel, I found what I was looking for in my own house.  So, anyone who calls you names because you have advice for me regarding anything at all, does not know YOU.

Stop calling people names on here when you don't even know them, just because they represent something you find offensive,  Problem Child. 

What is your career path, Problem?  That is what I thought.   NOTHING, right?

June 30, 2016 6:00 PM MDT

I can't they don't access enough choices for me to write a resume for school  It has to be a certain format.  But for some reason I just did an upgrade and it seems to have a lot more prompts now.  So, maybe I won't have to fork over 100 bucks for Word.  That is just bizarre since I used to have it for free.

June 30, 2016 6:01 PM MDT

? what picture?

June 30, 2016 6:01 PM MDT

Well, I cannot since I have no idea how or what any of this means.  Thanks anyway.  Ribbons?  What is that?  Nevermind, I won't understand anyway.   But thanks.

June 30, 2016 6:02 PM MDT

ive had to pay for stuff like that and excel cause of having to do homework from school

July 3, 2016 8:45 PM MDT

No MS software was ever free: Microsoft is a commercial company that makes and sells its products or services, just as does a car manufacturer.

However, whilst I don't object to a one-off purchase at a transparent, fair price, I object very strongly to the drive by these enormous monopolies to a rental system in which you pay a lot of money in a monthly so-called "subscription", even if you use the programme only once or twice a year.  Currently, WinZip and Adobe are pushing this system hard.

May 31, 2019 1:08 PM MDT