Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » What is the most vile-tasting medicine you ever had to swallow? I disliked CASTOR OIL. What was it supposed to do for us?

What is the most vile-tasting medicine you ever had to swallow? I disliked CASTOR OIL. What was it supposed to do for us?

Posted - June 26, 2019

Responses

Clean your system. It is a laxative.

I have never taken it.
    Robitussin is nasty...it makes my skin crawl. This post was edited by my2cents at June 26, 2019 6:04 PM MDT
      June 26, 2019 5:04 AM MDT

You're too young to have experienced that m2c. In my day kids were given CASTOR OIL daily. Like a tablespoon or two.  Religiously! It was VILE. So it was a laxative? It's funny I remember my mom was always constipated and they had some pills in those days called "Carter's Little Liver Pills" that she took daily I think for that. I don't know if they still make them. Then (now I'm gonna be indelicate here) they also had enemas when things were really bad. Of course they didn't know that diet had a lot to do with it and all you have to do is eat enough fiber/roughage and you will never have that problem. Thank you for your reply. I don't think I've ever tasted  Robitussin. It's a cough medicine right? :) This post was edited by RosieG at June 26, 2019 6:05 PM MDT
      June 26, 2019 5:21 AM MDT

Yes, cough/mucus medicine. It is good but nasty.

I remember my FIL talking about castor oil. He said it was so bad he would not even tell his parents when he was feeling bad. Cause they would give him that stuff. This post was edited by my2cents at June 26, 2019 6:05 PM MDT
      June 26, 2019 5:28 AM MDT

So it's effective but it makes you gag? Yikes. Thanks.
      June 26, 2019 5:31 AM MDT

Yes, if you keep it down then it will break up the congestion. 
      June 26, 2019 5:33 AM MDT

Castor oil was one of those things people used to believe did you good, but its only medicinal use would be as a laxative (it irritates the intestines).

Otherwise it's best kept as a lubricant in vintage 2-stroke engines! 

The things I had when very young were a vitamin-fortified fruit syrup called Minadex, and a sweet malt-extract preparation called Virol - a name like that suggests a type of bearing grease and indeed it rather looked like it. I do not know if these are still made, but they were very tasty! 
      June 26, 2019 2:42 PM MDT