Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Business » What are the differences, if any, between marketing and advertising? ~

What are the differences, if any, between marketing and advertising? ~

Posted - June 28, 2019

Responses

Well, their spelling for one. 
    One you sell at the market and the other you run an ad for in the newspaper?
    No. That can't be it.
    How about marketing involves research behind a product and promoting and advertising that product.
    Advertising can be a profession and it also involves promoting a product.
    Those sound more like the true differences.  What they have in common is promoting a product. This post was edited by Merlin at June 28, 2019 8:20 AM MDT
      June 28, 2019 8:06 AM MDT

Marketing is the process of selling an item to a customer; everything from price to strategy.  Look to the basic four (4) P's
    Product
    Price
    Place
    Promotion

Advertising is is part of the promotional mix used to gain consumer awareness

This Marketing 101 and is taught from day one in any marketing class.  It is reiterated all the way through your PHD.  Then you teach it to the students who are taking Marketing 101
      June 28, 2019 9:46 AM MDT

Very Nice.
    And to think, years ago I thought I might go into advertising as a major and a career.
    Then I sold retail and found I really didn't do well trying to sell items that did make them look fat.
    I suck at lying.
    I'm not really good at research either.  I wish I were better at both but marketing and advertising just isn't my cup of tea.
    I do admire some great jingles and logos and creativity that some advertisers have come up with and respect the lab rats that do the research on such products.
    I am as guilty as the rest and buy a product because of marketing and advertising.
    My hat is off to them. 
      June 28, 2019 10:03 AM MDT

It is a field I have worked in for many years and been successful at.  It is also the field of my undergraduate and advanced degrees.  Yep I am or was guilty of corrupting young minds with Capitalistic thoughts.  Also giving repetitive lectures and exams in any given Semester.  Sigh.........
      June 28, 2019 10:12 AM MDT

Advertising is simply trying to sell a product by communicating with the target market.

Marketing encompasses advertising along with all of the other efforts of moving merchandise including packaging, market strategies and analyses, imaging, and lots of other stuff. 
      June 28, 2019 11:06 PM MDT