Discussion » Questions » Communication » Do You Still Think The MSM is Unbiased?

Do You Still Think The MSM is Unbiased?

“Shut it Down!”: Reuters Orders Cameraman to Kill Positive Trump Footage

A shock example of anti-Trump media censorship was caught on tape when Reuters ordered its cameraman to cut live footage of Trump receiving praise from African-American Bishop Wayne T. Jackson in Detroit.

Posted - September 5, 2016

Responses

No government house organ is unbiased. 

This is what happens when we give GOVERNMENT-created corporations the rights and status of 'personhood.'  A truly free/independent press will soon cease to exist. Ours certainly has.

September 5, 2016 2:46 PM MDT

I assume MSM means MainStreetMedia. If yes then I agree, they tend to a reality based view of events, and that does not go too well with Mr Trump's campaign.

By the way, I though many Republicans were unhappy about Mr Trump being 'their' nominee. How many senators is it sofar who have said they will leave the Republican party if he win ?

By the way, how is Reuters a 'GOVERNMENT-created corporation' ?

September 5, 2016 4:12 PM MDT

Yep.

But I hold both sides of the aisle responsible.  This kind of corporatism can't exist without help from everyone.

September 5, 2016 6:12 PM MDT

1) That's main stream media to be precise, but yeah.  I'll readily concede that bias in favor of both flavors of statism exists, but it does seem to be more brazenly apparent coming from the left.

2) You'll have to ask a Repugnican.  I ain't one. I've about as much use for knuckle-dragging, jingoistic, FUD-pumping conservatism as I do for hand-wringing, codependent liberalism. :-)

3) Reuters is a publicly traded corporate media entity (TRI, I think).  All publicly traded corporations are government-chartered (birthed) entities.  There's no functional difference between them (in the case of media) and the Whitehouse press office.

September 5, 2016 6:17 PM MDT

So do you believe all publicly traded corporations are government created? You agree with Obama that "you didn't build that..."
      September 5, 2016 8:05 PM MDT

Yes to the first question, although the issue is less a matter of what I believe than fact. Publicly traded corporations ARE government creations.  Google the term "body corporate."

The answer to that would take all night.  Are you sure you're up for it? :-) In simplest terms the answer is yes and no; yes, Obama is correct in that publicly traded corporations are government-birthed business collectives and thus 'built' by government and the people who comprise the corporation. No, Obama's incorrect about privately held companies started by private individuals.

September 6, 2016 12:45 AM MDT

• Hey kid, when is that going to happen?
    I don't.want to miss it.

September 6, 2016 9:43 AM MDT

• Of course it's not. Even non-mainstream is biased. 

September 6, 2016 9:52 AM MDT

MSM is in the tank for Hillary.

But, Reuters denies that it was operating the camera and says it was CBS running the camera, which would give even more credence to the censorship.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-trump-video-idUSKCN11C019

September 6, 2016 9:52 AM MDT

Hello N:

I think the term "MSM" is biased.. Clearly, what you mean are outlets like the NY Times or the Washington Post..  But, they're not MAIN STREAM anymore.  Print media is DYING.  These days, when 84% of us have cable TV, "main stream media" is CABLE news and talk radio.  Talk radio is DOMINATED by right wingers.  You wouldn't question that, and FOX News tells you that it's the MOST watched cable news channel in the WORLD.. 

I believe it.  Today, "main stream media" is RIGHT WING.

excon

September 6, 2016 10:00 AM MDT

September 6, 2016 1:39 PM MDT

Right.  Everybody's got an agenda. The trick is to spot it and decide how much it influences the validity of what a given person or group has to say, and America's putatively 'free' press is no exception.

But here's the ironic part: the message is MUCH more effective when the agenda is hard to spot.

September 6, 2016 5:27 PM MDT