Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Did you ever do something as a young child, that over time you didn't believe it really happened, then discovered it did?

Did you ever do something as a young child, that over time you didn't believe it really happened, then discovered it did?

When I was 7 or 8 I recalled my sister and I burning down a garage, but didn't think it was real until she mentioned it.

Posted - July 15, 2019

Responses

I have chosen recall. There are some things I did that I could never imagine myself doing; therefore, I have convinced myself I didn't.
    I dined on ants.
    I am not a big bug person and certainly would not put them in my mouth.  ICK!
    What a Horror!!!!!
    I still do not take claim to this behavior.  My parents will tell you differently.  
    I think they made the whole thing up!
      July 15, 2019 1:15 PM MDT

Wracking my brains to think of something - nothing comes up.

Whenever something bad happened at home,
    Mum would say to Dad that she was worried how it would affect the kids (my sister and me).
    Dad would reply, "Don't worry. They never remember a thing."

I'd feel impotent rage each time, and renew my determination never to forget.
    In my mind, forgetting was the key to never understanding.
    Both not understanding and not being understood had painful consequences.

Problem - even the best-trained memories are fallible.
    And the interpretation we put on our memories can often colour them.
    It can take distance, time and adulthood to get a more objective perspective.
      July 15, 2019 2:04 PM MDT

• How are you not sure you burnt down the garage or not?
      July 15, 2019 2:45 PM MDT

I thought that it was something my mind just made up. But why would I make it up. I guess as a frightened kid, you want to forget such things.
      July 15, 2019 5:13 PM MDT

• How did it happen?
      July 15, 2019 5:14 PM MDT

I guess we were just playing with matches and it got out of control. Kids do stupid stuff. We didn't do it intentionally. I remember making some gunpowder once, and when I lit it, it flared up and burned my eyebrows off.
      July 15, 2019 5:20 PM MDT

• I was a bit of a fire bug too.
      July 15, 2019 5:26 PM MDT

My explosion demos as a teacher were awesome. This is me at my finest.

July 15, 2019 5:28 PM MDT

• I remember you showing that. :D
      July 15, 2019 5:31 PM MDT

Totally AWESOME!  How did you make it disappear??  Just kidding!!
    I love it!!!
      July 15, 2019 6:04 PM MDT

Yes.  My sister remembers much more about our childhood than I do.  Sometimes she tells a story from those days of which I have no memory.  As time goes by I often will remember a part of it, even if just basically an image.  Memory is funny like that.  I'm certain that without hearing the story I would have never had the slightest recall.
      July 15, 2019 3:51 PM MDT