Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Communication » "Differently-abled" is a fancy term for handicapped. Are you "differently-abled"? (Carlin fans will love this one.)

"Differently-abled" is a fancy term for handicapped. Are you "differently-abled"? (Carlin fans will love this one.)

Posted - July 22, 2019

Responses

• Poor people used to live in slums.  Now the economically disadvantaged live in sub-standard housing in the inner cities.And they're broke!  They don't have a "negative cash flow position ".
      July 22, 2019 2:21 PM MDT

• Probably needless to say, I'm a huge Carlin fan.

July 22, 2019 9:26 PM MDT

Although it's a clumsy term,
    it could be useful in helping us think differently about disabilities - at least for a while.

For instance, blind people become acutely sensitised in their other senses - literally far more able than normals.

Many disabled people become very good at quickly recognising the values and character of others because their safety and survival is critically linked to their dependency on others.

Many learn to think in different ways because they need to find solutions to problems that "normals" never encounter.

Some bipolars, 'though temporarily crippled during manic and depressive episodes, can at other times provide genius that greatly benefits the rest of humanity.

Some high functioning Aspergers can do certain kinds of tasks at far higher levels of excellence that "normals." eg IT.

I believe "normals" need to be open to what "differently-abled" means.
      July 23, 2019 2:30 AM MDT

This is a trick question. We are ALL differently-abled. You can provide lengthy, well thought out responses, and I can't. I can calculate forces between planets, and you can't. I had friends who could dunk a basket ball and I couldn't. I got that from a comedy skit by George Carlin.

July 23, 2019 9:52 AM MDT

Thank you! :)
    A good thing too, since it enables us to help each other via our specialties.
    Feeling a little shame that I didn't catch the logic of it at the start, but thank you for reminding me.

BTW - that was a well-thought-out response. 

I hope you know, Element, I kind of love you in a quirky sort of way.

July 23, 2019 1:51 PM MDT

Thank you.
      July 23, 2019 3:19 PM MDT