Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Is calling someone a grammar Nazi really against the TOS?

Is calling someone a grammar Nazi really against the TOS?

This can't possibly be true.

Posted - July 28, 2019

Responses

it is when the mods make their own truths
      July 28, 2019 10:48 AM MDT

I guess it is a perceived attack.  

When will it end, lord?  WHEN WILL IT END????

How about the fun of working around the rule?  

We can talk about the grammar obsessed in the more politically correct guise.   We can subvert the TOS and Randy D~'s cries of foul!

I prefer to hone in and attack Randy here and there for fun and it usually turns into a brawl where I am asked politely and firmly to leave the site for a few days.  (PB).

So, it is best to stay out of those moron discussions over whether or not one is offended by someone correcting their grammar.  Tedious at best.  

People who focus on grammar and I'm not mentioning anyone in particular because there is more than one, (that covers the attack part) so …. those "people" who are focused on grammar issues just magnify the fact that they cannot contribute anything more.  

(not as sexy as calling someone a NAZI, but it does get the point across)
      July 28, 2019 10:55 AM MDT

• That's pretty thin skinned.

I think it's funny when Randy does it to be honest.
      July 28, 2019 12:02 PM MDT

I thought it was funny the first 1,000 times?  On Answer Bag?  Now it is beyond tired.  And it starts arguments that are even more tired.  

Have at it.  
      July 28, 2019 12:05 PM MDT

• Fair point.
      July 28, 2019 12:06 PM MDT

…. that is just between Randy and me.  It is never really serious.  I mean what harm does it do?  I get annoyed when there are a ton of questions on a daily basis about nothing but tildes but that is not even happening now.  

I'm really glad people love him and his nonsense.   He just is someone that I get off on attacking.  What can I say?  
      July 28, 2019 12:45 PM MDT

• Same.  Randy is my dude but In like to bust his huevos. He's a good guy though.
      July 28, 2019 1:51 PM MDT

From my point of view, calling anyone a Nazi, with or without a qualifier, is abusive and therefore against the TOS.
    Negative names, judgements and criticism are all forms of abuse.

The only exception would be if the person called him or herself a Nazi and literally was one.
    If that was the case, I wouldn't be talking to them - I'd be avoiding them.

One mugger, still around, was known for pointing out mistakes in grammar.
    I was one of the few who didn't mind and took care to check my syntax for his sake.
    Other muggers complained a lot.
    He went through a phase of self-doubt, asked questions about whether he should continue educating - why and why not.
    Most of the replies begged him to stop - often in not very nice ways.
    I'm amazed people haven't noticed that he stopped commenting on grammatic errors a few months ago.

There was another mugger, expert in grammar, who used to point out errors only if they were so bad that the sentence made no sense.
    But he's been absent from this site for maybe a year.

With both of the grammar guards inactive, I can't see what the fuss is about.
      July 28, 2019 11:33 AM MDT

There is no real fuss, just idle minds having little to do.  

This topic is so tired. The only reason I care is because people who cannot USE correct grammar because of lack of education do not need to be reminded of such especially when they may be struggling to speak a second language.  That is my only concern.  If someone corrects me, I can usually appreciate the reason unless they are doing it to be silly and deflect my point.  Then it rankles.
      July 28, 2019 12:48 PM MDT

I agree.
      July 29, 2019 12:54 PM MDT

Both of the grammar guards? I am most certainly not inactive.
      July 29, 2019 7:25 AM MDT

Sorry, Stu.
    I hadn't seen you on the board for a few weeks and thought you'd disappeared.

This post was edited by inky at July 29, 2019 12:55 PM MDT
      July 29, 2019 12:55 PM MDT

TOS or no TOS, I am a grammar cop, proud to serve and correct.
      July 28, 2019 12:57 PM MDT

Oh there you are. Wondered.  

You can do anything you want to, just don't attack.  
      July 28, 2019 1:04 PM MDT

Yes, the term "Nazi" is considered offensive. I recognize that it it a colloquialism and that many people are now able to overlook the roots of the word, but the fact remains. If you'd like to enlighten yourself as to why it's a problem, you may want to read the following links. 

A Jewish perspective: 
    https://www.kveller.com/why-we-need-to-stop-using-the-term-grammar-nazi/

Additional grammar-related sources:
    https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/stop-calling-yourself-a-grammar-nazi
    https://stancarey.wordpress.com/2015/12/01/what-should-we-call-grammar-nazis/

July 28, 2019 3:16 PM MDT

Thanks, JA.

July 29, 2019 12:52 PM MDT