Active Now

Element 99
my2cents
DannyPetti
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Yesterday I asked the question "How much do you make?". I put it the in category 'Outside the mug'.

Yesterday I asked the question "How much do you make?". I put it the in category 'Outside the mug'.

Why did everyone assume I was referring to money?

Posted - July 31, 2019

Responses

It's one thing we can think of, collectively, that we have and you might be interested in.  Money is what almost everyone is interested in.  Sad but true.
    We could have thought, carbon dioxide.

I'd say, "I make enough to keep me alive today and hopefully, tomorrow."
    My answer is the same for carbon dioxide as it would have been for money.

Don says, "If you were talking about money, it is never enough.  If you are talking about a foot print, it is way too much."

This post was edited by Merlin at July 31, 2019 10:58 AM MDT
      July 31, 2019 7:13 AM MDT

That’s similar to what happened to my dehydration question.

I posted: “What are some common misconceptions about dehydration?”

A majority of the answers referred to the act of dehydrating food. When I posted it, I was thinking of being dehydrated as not taking in sufficient amounts of water, which is why I selected the Diet and Exercise category. The fact that others interpreted it differently still works, though. 

:) 
      July 31, 2019 8:20 AM MDT

I was being a wise a** when I gave my answer. It was intentional. (You missed the error in my question.) This post was edited by Element 99 at July 31, 2019 9:29 PM MDT
      July 31, 2019 11:01 AM MDT

I saw that question this morning and didn't have time to answer.  I'm sorry I didn't.  I understood it as dehydration of the body and would have answered as such.  
    Especially since it is this time of year and pretty hot everywhere.

I will go back... and answer of  your question there.... then... I'll come back here!  Big Winks and Smiles!! 
      July 31, 2019 9:28 PM MDT

Why weren't you more specific?
      July 31, 2019 8:22 AM MDT

There you go again, buddy. Just because he’s asking why the majority of people responded in regards to money doesn’t mean that he’s complaining or even that he’s saying they misunderstood his intent.  It’s possible that he’s just wondering why they thought it was about money. One man‘s point of view. 
    ~

July 31, 2019 8:27 AM MDT

Exactly. It was an experiment.
      July 31, 2019 11:00 AM MDT

I wrote it that way purposely. I am a curious fellow.
      July 31, 2019 10:59 AM MDT

The art of writing with an in-between-the-lines goal of finding out how his audience thinks.
    To me, that is one of the beauties of being a good writer.  It is a form of manipulation itself.
    The better you know your audience, the better you can write for their needs or manipulate them to think things you would like.

The power of words and the placement of them is amazing.
    :) :)
      August 1, 2019 6:20 AM MDT

Very true. I write professionally, so I am well aware of this. However, good writing often requires specific expression to avoid ambiguity.
      August 1, 2019 10:26 AM MDT

Honestly, I never noticed that the topic is posted above the question.  It isn't terribly visible and if you hadn't mentioned it, I would never have realized that's where it is.
      July 31, 2019 10:17 AM MDT

Everyone didn't.
      July 31, 2019 6:36 PM MDT