Active Now

Thebigd
Element 99
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Would buying guns only at authorized Gun Shops or Gun Shows with proper officials in attendance be a good deterrent?

Would buying guns only at authorized Gun Shops or Gun Shows with proper officials in attendance be a good deterrent?

If Walmart sells guns what kind of credentials does a buyer need to show?

I know you can order guns by mail and maybe that should be curtailed. How do they know to whom they are sending out the guns as far as mentally stable is?

Also there are person-to-person sales and who can monitor those?

Do you think limiting the number of locations where anyone can buy a gun would be of SIGNIFICANT help to stopping guns getting in the hands of those who shouldn't have them?

I didn't even know that Walmart sold guns. We have a Supercenter but I haven't explored every inch of it so I guess there is gun department?

I know it is a very complicated issue. If the problem were simple it would have been solved long ago.

Posted - August 14, 2019

Responses

You haven't been able to buy modern firearms via mail-order since the Gun Control Act of 1968.
    You can still buy black-powder and antique firearms that way.

Any business that wants to sell firearms, has to have a license from the BATFE.
    And if you sell more than a certain number of firearms as an individual, you have to have the same license.

Anyone purchasing a handgun, has to have a background check before the purchase.

In some states, you also have to have a background check to purchase a rifle.

Some states even require a background check for non-sale transfers, or sales between private individuals.
      August 14, 2019 10:21 AM MDT

Other things you can buy via mail-order (or online):
    archery equipment
    gunpowder
    chemistry supplies
    air guns

btw - ever watch the Dukes of Hazard TV show?
    Remember how the Duke boys never used firearms?  (Because they had been convicted of a crime, allegedly)
    But they had no problem using dynamite arrows.  LOL This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at August 14, 2019 10:27 AM MDT
      August 14, 2019 10:25 AM MDT

I have something to tell you that just made me realize how BACKWARDS America is.

Wal-Mart is America.  You can open carry a GUN into a Wal-Mart. Did you KNOW that?  BUT, I had to CARD people who wanted to buy a LIGHTER.

I am not lying. I had to card people who were buying LIGHTERS. NO CIGARETTES. LIGHTERS.  
      August 14, 2019 10:40 AM MDT

Open carry is legal in many states.

Yes, they card for lighters, spray paint, glue, knives, alcohol, and guns (and background check) This post was edited by my2cents at August 14, 2019 5:50 PM MDT
      August 14, 2019 5:40 PM MDT

I know you wouldn't joke about this Sharon. No. I did not know. Tell me how do you murder people with cigarette lighters? There is so much weird that goes on around me 24/7 about which I know zip. Probably a good thing. It be too depressing. I'm gonna run with this and give you blind attribution sweetie. Thank you for your reply. God helps us all! :)
      August 15, 2019 3:56 AM MDT

Gun show depends on the status of the seller.
    Dealer: there will be a NCIC background check
    Private seller (usually someone inherited a gun collection etc): there may or may not be a NCIC background check, it is not required under Federal law. 

Walmart or similar store: a NCIC background check will be performed

Firearms store: a NCIC background check will be performed.

Legally bought online: gun will be shipped to a licensed dealer. The buyer will come into the store to pickup. A NCIC background check will be performed before the seller is given possession of the gun. 

Private sale/gift/inheritance: Not required to have the background check under federal law. 

August 14, 2019 5:40 PM MDT

Thank you for a VERY INFORMATIVE reply m2c. So they do an NCIC (I don't know what that is) background check on the spot before the gun leaves the store? They are IMMEDIATE? That's good to know. :)
      August 15, 2019 3:57 AM MDT

They take about 15 min usually. But can take longer. But the purchaaer does not get the gun until they pass the check. 
    I do think anyone who fail the check should be reported to the police who should be required to investigate why they were trying to purchase as gun they are not allowed to have. I do remember some shooters who were denied a purchase before they committed a mass shooting. It may have been prevented if the police had paid him a visit right after that denial.
      August 15, 2019 4:28 AM MDT

Do you know what I can do?
    I can get my Trazadone, my Benzodiazepines, and my Ambien filled, then hop, skip, and jump next door to the Gun Store, pickup up a nice little .38 or .44 (or some other handy-dandy firearm) , after showing my drivers license, grab some rounds, load the sucker, put it in my pocket, walk out, and go sit in a schoolyard to watch children, or Walmart, or a Church or anywhere I want (almost) without any special permit or license!

I can also drive my car without a safety belt, ride a motorcycle without a helmet, and buy hard liquor at the state-run stores located on our highway rest areas. 

No what I can't do? By legal weed. Don't that make you feel safe? Ain't that groovy?

New Hampshire - Live Free Or Die 

I'm an official Minister. I can be trusted

LOLOLOLOL

August 14, 2019 7:02 PM MDT

• Believe it or not,
    the most disturbing fact I find in that whole post is you being a minister. 
    And I know you.  I know you really are.  LOL!  God help us all.

August 14, 2019 7:17 PM MDT

People "can" do lots of things JG. DO you do or are you just informing us of what you could? Thank you for your reply and the graphic and Happy Thursday. :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 15, 2019 4:00 AM MDT
      August 15, 2019 3:59 AM MDT