Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Celebrities » How does a woman of this class and stature become the WIFE of HARVEY WEINSTEIN? I wonder what her story is.

How does a woman of this class and stature become the WIFE of HARVEY WEINSTEIN? I wonder what her story is.

8 Things to Know about Designer Georgina Chapman, Harvey Weinstein's Wife

The Marchesa designer's driver was reportedly arrested after allegedly fighting with a paparazzi photographs

May 25, 2018
who is georgina chapman
ALBERTO PIZZOLI/AFP/Getty Images

Disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein was arrested in New York City Friday morning, and his estranged wife, Georgina Chapman, was reportedly connected to another arrest in Manhattan this week.

Her driver Cristovoa Proenca, 44, was "charged with criminal mischief for allegedly getting handsy with a lensman trying to photograph" the Marchesa designer and her two children on West 11th Street in the West Village, sources told the New York Post.

Chapman's fashion label is working to regain its prominence in the fashion world. After the brand called off its runway show at New York Fashion Week this past February —"Georgina couldn’t go through with it," a fashion insider told the New York Post. "She was too scared."—actress Scarlett Johansson made news when she wore a Marchesa gown to the Met Gala in early May.

The line held its bridal presentation last year on October 5, the same day the New York Times published its bombshell report of Weinstein's alleged sexual harassment involving multiple women that led to his being fired by his own company and ignited a national dialogue on sexual assault. (Weinstein has denied the allegations.)

Here are eight more things to know about the designer.

She was born in London on April 14, 1976.

Her mother, Caroline Wonfor, is a journalist, and her father, Brian Chapman, founded Percol, an organic coffee company. She attended Marlborough College, where Kate Middleton also went, and began modelling in her 20s. One of her first jobs was reportedly an ad for Head & Shoulders.

She went to school for fashion.
Georgina Chapman

Getty Images
Advertisement - Continue Reading Below

And then she became a successful fashion designer.
Keren Craig and Georgina Chapman

Getty Images

She launched Marchesa with Keren Craig, her friend and a fellow ex-model, in 2004. Chapman has judged Project Runway and Marchesa was a finalist for the 2006 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund. The brand won Red Carpet Designer of the Year at the British Fashion Awards in 2007, and Chapman's older brother Edward is now the CEO and co-owner.

She started dating Weinstein in 2004, and the two married in 2007.
Georgina Chapman

Getty Images

They split their time between a Bank Street townhouse in New York's West Village, a home in Westport, Connecticut (where they married), and London.
Bank Street New York

Google Maps

Weinstein hosted a fundraiser at his Westport house for Barack Obama in 2012. A Hamptons property that Chapman and Weinstein owned in Amagansett was listed for $12.4 million in 2017 (reportedly because they didn't use it enough), and it sold for $10 million in January, Variety reports.

Weinstein and Chapman have two children together.

Getty Images

Chapman is estimated to be worth a lot of money.
Harvey Weinstein And Georgina Chapman

Getty Images

Celebritynetworth.com reports that Chapman's own net worth is approximately $30 million. At one point, the couple was estimated to be worth $255 million combined, according to the Sunday Times of London, which ranked the couple number 42 on its list of fashion millionaires in 2017.

Earlier this year, the New York Post reported that Chapman and Weinstein agreed to a divorce settlement at the end of 2017 that could be worth between $15 million and $20 million for the designer.

Chapman has weathered storms with her husband before.
Georgina Chapman

Getty Images

Italian model Ambra Battilana alleged that Weinstein groped her in March 2015, but the Manhattan district attorney determined, "After analyzing the available evidence, including multiple interviews with both parties, a criminal charge is not supported." The Times story details allegations of sexual harassment Weinstein from multiple women that date back nearly three decades.

Posted - August 16, 2019

Responses

Most people leave their "choice" of a life-partner to chance - unless they're really smart and proactive.
    I was one of the dumb ones. Didn't learn this lesson 'til forty years too late.

I can only guess about Chapman. It seems from her early choices of a career in fashion and modelling that appearances were important to her.
    I know the Chelsea School of Art. It's one of the top art schools in the UK, very competitive to get in, has a famous textiles department.

With her interest in high fashion, it was natural that she'd probably move in celebrity circles - especially after winning a prestigious prize - often the first rung on a successful career in the arts.

She claimed to find Weinstein charming. That alone should have been a warning to her that he may be a sociopath. But then, she might be one herself. Apparently, about 1 in 26 people are - though that says nothing about the degree of severity.
    He was also a successful alpha male. Since humans are a variety of ape, alpha females often prefer alpha males.

Being creatively gifted and beautiful does not necessarily go hand in hand with emotional intelligence.

I have a personal saying:
    charm is like a Bombe Alaska, all heat and flame on the outside, cold as ice within.

This post was edited by inky at August 16, 2019 6:07 PM MDT
      August 16, 2019 5:45 PM MDT

I am ASTONISHED, book.  This lady was in front of me on a great design show and I knew nothing about her personally.  She is so classy without being stuffy.  I was very taken with her and I never say that about women who marry that kind of jerk.  I think she found out what he was like too late.  Meaning he needed a "FRONT" for lack of a better word.  He needed someone to display and use for show.  This woman gives him status.  He may have shown her his GOOD side and totally enjoyed that role.  THEN SHE FOUND OUT.  And she had a great career without him to begin with.  So, I give her a break so far.  She is definitely NO Melania Trump.  
      August 16, 2019 7:19 PM MDT

I acknowledge that's a strong possibility -
    entirely consistent with narcissistic control-freak types.
    They can maintain certain roles by self-control while acting out in others.

I agree - she matches the profile for the typical trophy wife.

But a woman has to take responsibility for herself.
    In psychology, it's well known that when a spouse didn't know what was going on, 98% of the time it was because they chose not to know.
    Denial.
    They turned a blind eye to obvious evidence going on over a long period of time.
    Conversely, when a spouse suspects an affair, 80% of the time it turns out to be true.

She may say she didn't know - but I don't buy it.
    She may have thought he was having affairs and not aware of the harassment and rapes.
    But even that, I doubt.
    We now know the women behind the scenes were warning each other for scores of years.
    And with that many women involved, my guess is that at least one would have ratted on him to her.

This post was edited by inky at August 16, 2019 9:10 PM MDT
      August 16, 2019 9:05 PM MDT

He is just gross in my view.  She said he was charming......That must be a disease that doesn't exist in the South!   I don't know where he is now or what he is facing.  
      August 17, 2019 6:19 PM MDT