Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Some folks DREAD a particular birthday. Maybe it's 30 or 40 or 50. Is there something wrong with those who don't or those who do? Do you?

Some folks DREAD a particular birthday. Maybe it's 30 or 40 or 50. Is there something wrong with those who don't or those who do? Do you?

Posted - August 23, 2019

Responses

Yes - I am dreading my 46th birthday. Or, to be more accurate, I am dreading reaching 46 and still being single. 

Turning 40 affected me emotionally more than I realised at the time, but in a sense I can convince myself that being 40-something isn't so bad because I'm in good health and look younger than I am, and there's still a good chance of finding someone. At least, I can still see things that way as long as I am in the first half of my 40s.

I see 45 as being a sort of bridge between early 40s and late 40s. Late 40's sounds a lot more middle-aged than early 40's.
      August 24, 2019 2:49 AM MDT

Oh m'dear you are so wrong! Jim and I found each other later in life than we would have liked. I was 59 and he was 61. Yes we both had other marriages behind us and I think neither of us were looking. I think we were resigned to being alone for the rest of lives. But he dropped into my life OUT OF THE BLUE unexpectedly! Now magic didn't happen right away. We started off as friends. Good friends. We were very comfy with each other. But over time things changed. And I am now 81 going on 82 so you see the best could be just waiting for you and find you when you least expect it. I have always found you to be logical kind polite and fun to chat with. I realize it's through a screen but I think you can get to "know" something about a person based on how he/she communicates. I have a feeling you will find the right person for you. I do. I wouldn't say if I didn't believe it. So what I'd like you to do is when that person finds you or vice versa please visit and let us know about your happy ending. Okey dokey? I was "alone" for 20 years. I dated and even got engaged once but it didn't click. Thank you for your reply Rev and Happy Saturday to you! :)
      August 24, 2019 3:05 AM MDT

Well, Thank you, Rosie, that's very comforting, and thanks for the compliments too.
    I agree it should be possible to gain an idea of what a person is like by the way they communicate, but that's not an instinct that everyone possesses in equal measure, and it's one that I have only recently begun to acquire. I have attempted internet dating on and off for several years, and often found the results to be disappointing. I have always found typing (whether email or instant messaging) to be a very artificial way of communicating because you miss all the body language, changes of expression and voice tone, so I've sometimes been a position of feeling there was a lot of chemistry between us when behind the keyboard, but finding that there wasn't when meeting face to face. But over time, you can learn to recognise patterns, and I think sometimes what is left unsaid can be more revealing than what is said. So maybe the next date will be more meaningful and bring better results. Not that I'm saying I only date women I meet online, of course!
    And happy Saturday to you Rosie!
      August 24, 2019 4:12 AM MDT

Thank you for your very fine reply Rev and you're welcome. I agree that sometimes what isn't said is more meaningful that what is. As you get to learn more about people you are either drawn in because you want to find out more or you pull away because something isn't working for you. I think being open to all possibilities is a good way to be no matter what the subject or topic or situation. You will know soon enough if you have to close up or withdraw. If you are closed off 24/7 nothing and no one will ever get through and so you could miss the most delightful part of your life. Now that would be such a sad thing to have happen! :)
      August 24, 2019 6:42 AM MDT