Active Now

Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Humor and Jokes » If you live in Australia and you make Gyros made with chicken instead of lamb is that a YIROS?

If you live in Australia and you make Gyros made with chicken instead of lamb is that a YIROS?

Am I missing something?  

Posted - August 25, 2019

Responses

Not missing anything.
    The traditional Greek gyros was made of lamb.
    These days in Greece it is now more often made of pork or chicken - which may be because the raising of pigs and poultry is cheaper.
    With trends jumping oceans with the speed of jets and internet, it's natural that the changes have spread world-wide.
    Apparently, the USA uses meats blended with beef - probably because of its vast feedlot beef production.

August 25, 2019 12:09 PM MDT

Very nice.  However, what about YIRO?  Did Slarti make that one up? 
      August 25, 2019 12:11 PM MDT

I think he might have.
    We have lots of kebab shops throughout the country - mostly run by Greeks, Lebanese or Israelis.
    Each makes their kebas or gyros in slightly different ways.
    But I've never seen the term yiro written anywhere.
    Yiro could be dialect - maybe a different way of pronouncing the same word.
    Or maybe it was a typo.
    We would have to ask Slarti.

August 25, 2019 1:22 PM MDT

I think he might have.
    We have lots of kebab shops throughout the country - mostly run by Greeks, Lebanese or Israelis.
    Each makes their kebas or gyros in slightly different ways.
    But I've never seen the term yiro written anywhere.
    Yiro could be dialect - maybe a different way of pronouncing the same word.
    Or maybe it was a typo.
    We would have to ask Slarti.

August 25, 2019 1:22 PM MDT

Lamb is a real rarity these days in Kapob Stands in Austria and most of the EU.  Cost is the reason you now have primarily Chicken or Mystery Meat which I will assume is a Flieshertes mixture - Beef, Chicken and a small amount of Lamb.  True Islamic Kapob stands do not have Mystery Meat - just saying
      August 26, 2019 3:00 PM MDT