Active Now

Danilo_G
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Bible readers...is there anything in it that states bigamy/polygamy are sins in the eyes of God or are those laws man-made?

Bible readers...is there anything in it that states bigamy/polygamy are sins in the eyes of God or are those laws man-made?

Posted - August 26, 2019

Responses

Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.” | 1 Timothy 3:12

Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.” | Deuteronomy 17:17 

“Nevertheless, [to avoid] fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.” | 1 Corinthians 7:2 

And Adam said: “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed. ” | Genesis 2:23-25

“And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart.” | 1 Kings 11:3

"He who created them from the beginning made them male and female and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh.’”—Matthew 19:4, 5.

Man made the rules allowing polygamy and divorce. God just did not put a specific punshiment for it.
      August 26, 2019 5:35 PM MDT

Thank you. Your answer leads me to another question.
      August 26, 2019 5:38 PM MDT

It doesn't specifically say polygamy is a sin.

However, according to Genesis 2:24 ("This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one".), it is evident that God's design was for one man and one woman (the two become one).

August 26, 2019 5:45 PM MDT