Discussion » Questions » answerMug » Say IT ISN'T SO? Is it true that South Park videos are Not allowed on here? Because if that is true? I am done.

Say IT ISN'T SO? Is it true that South Park videos are Not allowed on here? Because if that is true? I am done.

That is ridiculous

Posted - September 9, 2016

Responses

•   September 9, 2016 5:45 PM MDT

Videos are subject to the same rules as any other content. There's no ban on South Park, but if you post something depicting violence, bad language, hate speech, nudity, etc., and it is seen by a mod, it will get removed. Charface's video seems to be in the clear. 

September 9, 2016 6:04 PM MDT

so there was no violence because of??

because it was comedy?

September 9, 2016 6:31 PM MDT

What about videos that use sarcastic homophobic language to criticize homophobia, in characteristic south park style.

...because that was the most recent video that was removed. It led me to conclude either that the mods don't understand South Park or that they hate gay people, and since nobody would be foolish enough to delete something they don't understand (as they aren't equipped to evaluate it), I went with the latter conclusion.
      September 9, 2016 6:49 PM MDT

What video got deleted, specifically? Posted by whom and on what kind of content? 

There wasn't a video that I'm aware of that has been specifically removed in months for violating a rule. Some videos may have been in the comments section and gotten removed when the main comment was removed. If, for example, my comment above that began with "Videos are subject to the same rules as any other content." was removed, yours, Baba's, and this one I'm writing right now would be deleted with it.

Considering that we post everything that is removed in the mod group, and all the mods review and comment on removals and are free to question the removals of other mods and myself, and that one of our mods is gay, neither of your theories makes sense. 

@Baba- I'm not sure what you're referencing. The only South Park video I have seen here is the link Charface gave and there wasn't violence in it. If you're talking about another video, I haven't seen it.

September 9, 2016 7:21 PM MDT

This one:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xGyKBFCd_u4

It was posted as part of a discussion about homophobia, on a thread criticising Harley riders, with a clarifying comment (which was also deleted). Rarely is a video so germane to a discussion as that one was.

...and I didn't say that one if your mods is gay. I said that the best explanation for the removal is that one of your mods hates gay people. I even have an inkling as to which one, given their history of homophobic content on AB.
      September 9, 2016 7:37 PM MDT

I think you just found your own answer. The video was posted as a response to something that was classified as hate speech. That comment was deleted and the video went with it- not because of the video itself, but because the thing it was responding to was removed.

Having viewed the video, I can say that it could have been removed on its own merit. There was cursing and nudity in it, but it wasn't. The comment the video was attached to was so alarming that I didn't even look at the responses to it. I just removed the comment instantly. I will tell you in a PM what comment it was attached to for your own reference, but I'm not going to repost it on the site.

In regard to your last statement, I didn't say you said one of our mods was gay. I'm telling you- one of our mods is gay. Ergo "The mods don't understand South Park or that they hate gay people," could not be accurate. The mods, as a collective, cannot hate gay people, because one of the mods is gay. Well... I suppose that person could hate themself, but given that they're outspoken about their orientation, I'm finding that highly unlikely. 

In the mod group, we have discussions just like what's happening here. We post a member's name as the discussion heading, as well as what violation occurred as the title, and then we copy/paste the content that was removed in the description. Anyone on the mod team is there because they have an exemplary record with no disciplinary action ever. We have liberals, conservatives, democrats, republicans, Christians and atheists, men and women, etc... The regular member base is very well represented. Mind you, this is purely by chance. All I look for in selecting mods is that they have no record of reprimands, that they've been cool under pressure, and that they believe in upholding the policies as they stand- the core of the TOS and the general attitude of the site. Coach/ educate, rather than discipline. We're here to facilitate discussions, even the uncomfortable ones, not remove them.

A whole lot of additions to the discussion area never get attention- they're just there for the sake of letting other mods know what's happening and so we have a record of who is where with the chain of consequences. But, we all look at what others remove. When things are questionable, we discuss it. When things are wrongfully removed because a mod makes an error, we discuss it and I send the member a letter of apology. If someone was removing things because they were a homophobe, that would be caught in a heartbeat. Nobody, not even me, is immune from scrutiny. The main purpose of this is education of the mods- I want everyone on the same page and removing the exact same kinds of content, so that moderation is carried out in a uniform way. But, it also works to balance moderation- we're all in check. So, even if someone did have a bias, undoubtedly at least one of the five remaining people would jump up and say "That's not right!" I encourage members to report issues and I encourage mods to report/ discuss potentially unfair moderation. 

I realize you don't see that aspect of moderation, but I do see it day in and day out. We tear apart and dissect things related to the moderation of the site, just as any discussion in the main Q&A would be debated. 

September 9, 2016 10:00 PM MDT

just watched the latest from Charface haha

have never seen South park

if you post it

i will watch it.

try and see if it stays

September 10, 2016 1:15 AM MDT

Is it Kindergarten approved?

September 10, 2016 2:11 AM MDT

i have no idea, never seen those

September 10, 2016 6:57 PM MDT